Tilt Valve Pisotns

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Tilt Valve Pisotns

Does anybody have a tilt valve piston that they can measure the distance between the center of the wrist pin the the top of the flat part of the piston. I'm hoping it is 2.2 inches so I can make them into flat top pistons for a BD240. My machinist says it is workable if the deck height is the same. I really need this info soon, as the cheapest place the get some pistons is closing shop on the 15th of Feb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Tilt Valve Pisotns

Don, I have a piston, PN684315R1, it is in the MT-107 says High compression, I will post a picture, with a tape measure it looks like from the center of the pin the flat part 2-3/8 inches, If you want this piston you can have it for the cost of shipping, I am in MN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:23 pm

pic
Attachments
DSCI0511.JPG

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Kevin
I sent you a PM and I hope you get it, I wasn't to sure what I was doing with the new site.

Don

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:28 am

dhg43 wrote:Kevin
I sent you a PM and I hope you get it, I wasn't to sure what I was doing with the new site.

Don

Don, I am curious what the machinist said about the piston.
kevin

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Kevin

I took the piston to the machinist, he and I were both hoping that it would be flat on the inside, but it follows the contour as the top of the piston. Now he is mocking up the engine to see how close the piston comes to the valves and the cylinder head. He needed bearings and I found out the rod bearings are no longer made, so I was on a treasure hunt to find them Friday morning and finally found them in Penn. so they are one the way to the machinist and should be there about Wednesday. Hopefully he will figure something out without having to find a tilt-valve head and valve train which should make a lot of members happy if there is a solution to the lack of flat topped pistons. I'll let you know what we find out.

Don

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun May 05, 2013 4:22 pm

For everybody that wondered, the high compression (tilt valve) pistons didn't work in the BD240. The machinist said there just wasn't enough space in the older head to come close to accommodating the crest on the tilt valve piston. If the inside of the piston hadn't followed the contour of the outside, he could have taken some off the top of the piston and made it work. Kevin, thanks for the piston, we tried! The machinist is now going to knurl the bottom of the pistons. He said it won't take all the slop out of skirts but it sure will help.

Don

Return to L, R and S