vacuum governor for a BD-220

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:51 am

vacuum governor for a BD-220

Anybody out there have a Holley Centri-Vac governor for a single barrel 1904 type carburetor? I need the governor to complete the Electrall generator installation on the S-100 pickup truck. I have checked the usual sources like Outback, Barnes and ebay, but no luck so far! The governor for the Holley two barrel carb AA1 or 852 seems to be available, but the 1-barrel version of the governor must be rare. Below is a copy from the parts manual for the i-barrel governor. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks DonO
Attachments
Holley governor.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: vacuum governor for a BD-220

I personally don't have 1st hand knowledge, but in other posts, I recall someone singing the praises of Carb King, I believe. It's a suggestion only.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Yes, I believe the Carb King is the catch name for "The Carburetor Shop LLC" in Eldon, Missouri. I sent them an email yesterday and have not heard back from them yet. Thanks for the suggestion! Kevin, you must have one of these governors laying around in your shop? DonO

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Tell me more about this install? The Vacuum gov are generally used only to prevent overspeed and not to hold to a spefic RPM and don't have that ability, if that is what you are looking to do. They have much to much variation in speed to hold anything close to one RPM. I can't see why you would be using one otherwise, with a generator.
With a light load they allow higher speeds then with a heavy load.
May be I'm missing the point, but what is the point?
Edit: I see from the picture that is centra-vac type governor and you need the distributor vacuum controller to supply the vacuum to that unit. Those hold a speed much better then an all vacuum type, which only work on the velocity of the air moving thru them.
It would help if I had read (or remember what I read) in the description, the old CRS kicking in!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Yes, I believe the governor I need is a Holley vacuum unit. I works with the rotary vacuum control valve mounted on the end of the electrall generator. The vacuum control valve unit is a Holley 1174 device. Looking in the parts book, it looks like IH used a similar Holley vacuum control connected to the distributor, control the governor on some of their larger engines. The Holley gevernor should work better than the Hoof type air velocity governors. I really don't expect the final product to keep the generator at a real tight frequency tolerance, I would just like the darn thing to work and to be as original as possible becuase this will just be a show piece.
Attachments
pic 1 electrall in truck.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Dawn over Marblehead! I have what you are looking for. It came on a 282. I think I still have both the part that bolt on the manifold, and the part that gets turned by the distributor. I'm not sure about the 2nd part but I'll look for it over the next few days.
The set speed will likely be lower then for a smaller six, I don't know if it will be adjustable to what you need, and I have no idea how you are going to adapt the distributor section to the smaller sixes.
We were both typing at the same time. Do you need the control unit, or does your generator already have the control? If I can find it, you can have it even if only for a spare.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

CB89, are you serious, you have that governor??? Send me a PM and we can work out a deal! I have the control valve part that mounted on the distributor (or generator in my case), but if you have one, it sure wouldn't hurt to have a spare! I am not real certain how the whole thing is supposed to work, but I bought a Holley manual off ebay that hopefully will fill in alot of the blanks, just waiting for it to arrive.Thanks for checking and getting back to me, I feel like i just won the lottery! DonO

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Yes I'm serious!
They are fairly simple. Vacuum goes from the manifold vacuum source to the gov control input, the output goes the governor chamber connection. The control either supplies vacuum or vents to atmosphere the line to the vacuum chamber, depending on speed. When it reaches governed speed, the vacuum to the chamber is just enough to close the throttle enough to hold the set speed.
It is slightly more complex then that (there is a venture vacuum feed thru a restriction) but that is the jist of how it works. Venturi vacuum is used so if the throttle is wide open and manifold vacuum is low, the two together can pull the throttle closed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:55 pm

I think the reason they are so rare, is they only would have been used on the 282 engine, the smaller 6's would have used a velocity governor if governed at all, and the 308 used the 2bbl. Not many 282's were built or used. 308's are fairly rare as shortly after they came out with 282-308 the SV series was introduced for the exact same line of trucks.
Industrial power unit likely used a different governor set-up (variable speed) not a max speed governor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 pm

BTW that is a real neat piece of equipment, never heard or seen one before. I'd love to see pictures of yours when you get it done.
Did you truck come with it? It must be one of the rarest "options" if so!
Next

Return to L, R and S