'53 R130 axle/brakes help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

'53 R130 axle/brakes help

Hey all,
I've been working on a 1 ton resto-mod for a while now and, as I'm sure everyone knows, getting parts for these old IHs is a pain. My current problem is that the PO took all of the brake hardware out of the Front left brakes (big 8 lug wheels) and I can't find a new star adjuster or some small hardware.

So, my question is.. is there any spindle swap or hub swap that I could do to give me more modern (preferebly dually) disk brakes? I'm not too wise on these older trucks yet, so I don't know what compatability was built into them.

I have the ability to machine components, but I don't want to spend to time to cast/lathe/thread an adjuster if I could just as easily get disk brakes.

Thanks in advance!
-Sam from ND

Here's a picture of the truck as it sat bone stock a year ago,
Attachments
r-130.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: '53 R130 axle/brakes help

you can put darn near any front and rear axles out of a newer truck under it, need to move saddle mounts, change driveline yoke, or cut and weld driveline to new yoke, connect brake lines and steering,

width measure would be main concern, newer trucks, especially all disc brake ones are wider than a 53.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey Jon thanks for the reply.
I'd like to do an axle swap, but I haven't had great luck finding an i-beam axle for a reasonable price (no junkyards around) so i'm saving buying a chevy p30 axle as a ditch effort. What I'm really curious about, is if early spindles from the different makers where more or less the same. So if I could use a disk brake kit for a ford or chevy?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm

I didn't know they used 8 lug wheels that far back. Most were 6 lug. I wonder if wwhat you have is not stock.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:07 pm

need better close up shot of wheels, but front looks like 6 spokes.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Oops I meant they are the big 6 lug, I guess a little intro/background is in order also. I got the truck last year out of a barn where it sat for 10 years, before that it was a grain truck. I drove it around for a while, but now it's garaged and I'm making it into a dedicated motorcycle hauler for long distance motorcycle shows. I'll be putting a service bed on that I've been shaping from sheet metal, exhaust tubing and a pair of front fenders from a 55' chevy (isn't as ugly as it sounds) :D

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57 am

You can use L,R,S 100/110 hubs and do the disc brake swap with relative ease from there, You also might consider using anExplorer rear end for better brakes and gear ratios.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 pm

On a 1-ton, like the R-130, I wouldn't use the 1/2-ton 5-lug brakes. Someone else might, but I wouldn't...because it defeats the purpose of having a 1-ton truck.

Yep, finding that 8-lug I-beam 1-ton axle isn't easy. Before Ford went to the Twin I-beam front axle, they used a 6-lug on 7-1/4" bolt circle just like International; one of my friends has one.

Maybe you can find an 8-lug I-beam axle out of a 1-ton Dodge...?? Just a suggestion, mind ya...
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 pm

in theory, again in theory, you can put darn near any hub on your stock spindles, you just need a timken catalog and a patient parts guys,

when ever I needed to replace bearings in some of the old ball stuff I've owned, I use my timken catalog, get inner off spindle a and outer diameter off hub, then start looking,

do the same to replace old leather seals with a national catalog, just go by size,

obviously hub has to be big enough over size of spindle and relatively same depth, and may not work, but worth looking up to see.

I learned long ago to ask for parts by # if possible, because saying the word "International" seemed to automatically double the price for same part.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Hey thanks for all the advice guys,

Buzzman, thats the same thought I had where I'd like to keep it a 1-ton and not have any weak links (like a 5 lug hub)

Jon, I think this is the way i'm going to go. I found some measurements for a chevy hub/rotor (raybestos 5022R) and it seems like it might be a good fit on my spindle. And your right! I've learned not only to not say "international" at the parts store but to cross reference the parts myself and ask for them for a dodge :lol:
Next

Return to L, R and S