Good R series fuel tank info

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 am

Good R series fuel tank info

Just wanted to share this info in case anyone else is in need of a new fuel tank for their R series.

I needed a tank for my 1954 R-120. I ended up buying this:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /prd78.htm

It is a poly tank from Tanks Inc for a 53-55 F100.

It took a couple hours to make some minor modifications, but it fit pretty nicely and is functioning great. I needed to use a heat gun to warm it in a couple spots and then used a wooden hammer handle to "massage" those areas so it would slip up in the stock fuel tank area. the fuel inlet is located right between the cab and bed as stock, just at an angle. I also needed to relocate the middle running board support towards the rear of the truck a few inches. pretty simple, drill 4 new holes in the framerail and it fit just fine. Last step was to do some minor tweaking of the inner runningboard where it slides up between the cab and tank. Just had to straighten it in a couple spots.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say the difficulty factor of this project was a 5. easily accomplished and I'm thrilled with the results. Last step for me is the darn fuel gauge. My stock one was shot, so I put an aftermarket one in before installing the tank. I knew it wouldn't be compatible with the stock gauge so now I need to figure out a way to add a compatible gauge. For now I keep a stick in the bed that I use to check the fuel level!

For $215, I'm very happy with the investment and the results.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 am

Re: Good R series fuel tank info

Did you by any chance take any pictures of the things you did? They all sound like fairly easy things to do for Clearance issues. Pictures would help those of us who are "visual" like me.
Thanks for the info.

Lloyd

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:45 am

I didn't, and I thought about that as I typed up that post this morning. I'll take some shots from underneath next time I'm in the shop and add them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Interesting, how did the filler work out? Thanks in advance.
kevin

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:26 am

The filler lined up perfectly in the opening between the cab and box. it sticks out at an angle towards the rear. I cut the filler off the stock tank and clamped it on to the short filler stub of the new poly tank using a rubber coupling and 2 hose clamps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am

I appreciate your finding and posting this valuable information.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Pics would be awesome!
1954 R-120
Ford 6x135 converted disc brakes.
9.75 rear axle.
220 cubic inches of pleasure.
A Dobie approved Project.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I called a fuel tank company who was advertising in STREET RODDER magazine. They were very interested ins making L&R tanks, but they want an example to work from. I live in Canada and there is the logistics of shipping to another country which make my participation nearly impossible. The permits and the bureaucracy are the deal breaker. It would be nice if some other person would take the initiative and get involved. I cannot do it from here, as much as I might like to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 01, 2015 12:51 pm

I just found this on this forum. So, you see, the search works really well. Buzzman72 had some cautionary information about fuel tanks that I agree with. So proceed with caution and care.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4129&hilit=tank&start=20

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I called a fuel tank company who was advertising in STREET RODDER magazine. They were very interested ins making L&R tanks, but they want an example to work from. I live in Canada and there is the logistics of shipping to another country which make my participation nearly impossible. The permits and the bureaucracy are the deal breaker. It would be nice if some other person would take the initiative and get involved. I cannot do it from here, as much as I might like to.

I just sent an email with all my contact information to "Tanks Inc" in Monticello, Iowa inquiring about having one made for my truck. Also offered to drop mine off if they need a sample. I can drop off mine off when I drive up to Wisconsin to see family before moving to Arizona, it's about 2 miles off the highway that I take up there not to mention I can also stop and shop at Yogi's. We'll see what they say and if need be I can call them. Question is are the R, L and S tanks all the same size?

Tanks Inc.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm

Yogi's
http://www.yogisinc.com/
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240
Next

Return to L, R and S