BD240 valve cover

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:31 am

BD240 valve cover

Installed new gaskets tonight on the valve cover and I may have found why the valve cover was leaking from the rear side. When I tighten down the valve cover to the new rubber gasket all the sides are tight except for the rear, I can move the gasket in and out. I haven't used any gasket sealer yet on this gasket because I still want to adjust the valves. Looks like from the rear the valve cover has a slight bend in the middle. Any body have any good ideas...maybe silicone sealant on the rubber gasket? All my other gaskets are sealed with gasket adhesive (not the silicone type) but I don't think this will seal with the adhesive.

1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:31 am

Re: BD240 valve cover

KSever wrote:Installed new gaskets tonight on the valve cover and I may have found why the valve cover was leaking from the rear side. When I tighten down the valve cover to the new rubber gasket all the sides are tight except for the rear, I can move the gasket in and out. I haven't used any gasket sealer yet on this gasket because I still want to adjust the valves. Looks like from the rear the valve cover has a slight bend in the middle. Any body have any good ideas...maybe silicone sealant on the rubber gasket? All my other gaskets are sealed with gasket adhesive (not the silicone type) but I don't think this will seal with the adhesive.

On my valve cover, I used a small piece of 2x4 and a rubber mallet, placed the cover on the 4" side of the wood and tapped down along the edges to level the cover. I also use the Black RTV on the gaskets. The Blue will work as well.

What year is that BD240? Looking at it from the picture, my back-end does not look like that, mine's a '56, with high engine number 406xxx.

Just my tid-bit.

JEM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:38 am

Here's some numbers for you. It's in my 56 S102 but I know it's not the original engine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 am

Here's the whole side

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:54 am

KSever wrote:Here's the whole side

Looks great!

Is that a new distributor or did you rebuild it?

By the way, did you move to AZ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 am

The distributor was just cleaned and painted.

Actually bought a house in Mesa last summer but I have to finish the remodel on this house in Missouri and we plan to list this house to sell in March provided I get the remodel done.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:42 am

KSever wrote:The distributor was just cleaned and painted.

Actually bought a house in Mesa last summer but I have to finish the remodel on this house in Missouri and we plan to list this house to sell in March provided I get the remodel done.

Welcome to AZ. I'm up in Tucson.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Kris, that is a good looking engine, as far as the valve cover and gasket, get it as straight as you can. The product I use is more of an adhesive, I use it on my oil pans too. the problem may arise down the road when removing though. One is called the rite stuff, the other is called silicone 2, it is an alcohol base silicone on the silicone 2 product, it is black and for me works well. Don't get it on you hands.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks Kevin, I'm going to try and straighten the cover out very carefully. I do not want to mess up the paint, luckily I still have touch up left in the can.
I did use a sealant on all the other gaskets I put on yesterday (Permatex #2 non hardening) non silicone. Yes that stuff is sticky. We'll see what tomorrow brings with a piece of hard wood and a rubber mallet.
Attachments
permatex 2 non hardening.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:27 pm

If you have a flat surface, preferably steel, clamp the valve cover down with the twisted up end hanging over the edge. Put the end of the wood onto the raised edge and hit the wood with a 3-5 pound hammer. Using a rubber hammer on the wood is a waste of time. The wood will give as much protection to the paint as you will get and hitting the wood with a rubber hammer will not transfer the energy the valve cover might need to straighten out. Easy does it. It is much better to move the distortion a little at a time rather than taking a big chance of making more damage with a big bash.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Next

Return to L, R and S