Transmission question

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Transmission question

FWIW,
A few months ago I did some research on the IH 5spd's (T-34/35 etc.) It has the shift pattern & ratios.

Here's the thread...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4091&p=30271&hilit=t34+shift+pattern#p30271

Info only (to clarify things).
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:48 pm

WHOA.
Let's go back to post #1. The questions refer to an R-160 and an S-170.

For the R-series, here's what the CTS-11/12 factory service manual says was used for transmissions:
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/files/manuals/service/16%20Transmission.pdf

Problem is, the CTS-11/12 doesn't mention the ND transmissions. Maybe the S-series service manual does, but the L/R-series manual doesn't.

Transmission Index Page 1 shows the ONLY two 5-speeds listed for the 170 trucks [might have been optional in the 160, but it's not listed that way] as the F-51 and the F-51 C. Section E Page 2 shows the shift patterns for both: the F-51 is overdrive, and has 5th gear towards the dash, and the F-51-C is direct 5th, and has 5th towards the seat.

Not sure about the S-series, but in general there weren't many mechanical differences between them and the R-series...so if that's the case, the simple way would be to refer to the FACTORY manuals, or at least the ones we DO have a link to on this site.

Yet we apparently HATE to do that here. [Scottso seems to be an exception to that generalization.]

The T-34/35/36 weren't in use in this time period...but we sure did spend a lot of time talking about them. And I'm pretty sure we haven't yet answered the question that was originally asked in post #1.

If someone has access to a service manual that covers the S-series, maybe we can actually answer the question that was originally asked. Because not all the answers are in the parts books; some are ONLY found in the service manuals.

So I'm offering only a "partial" answer, but one that's backed up by IH in manual form. I'm not going by what I "think," or what I "guess," but by what IH actually put into print. I only wish I had the other manuals to give a more definitive answer.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 pm

actually, it has been answered, in a truck of that vintage, if 5th is up by the dash it is OD, if not then direct. End of story. The only fly in the ointment may be if the original trans was replaced with a real modern one.

Rex

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks guys! I went and took pictures of the patterns in both trucks, the r160 is 2 4 R
3 5 1

And the S170 is 1 2 5
R 3 4

So that would mean the R has a direct 5th and the S has an overdrive 5th. I was really hoping that it would have been the other way around!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 am

Often, it makes little difference in how fast the truck will run. When they use an OD trans they often couple it with more reduction in the back, this allows for a lighter driveline loads. WHen a direct is used up front, less reduction is typical in the back, and both trucks will top out about the same.
It all depends on tire size and total gear ratios. Really depends on how and what the truck was spec'd for in the beginning.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Rex, I suggest trying to get a copy of each trucks Line Setting Ticket,it will at least give you the transmission codes which could make it easier to ID the trannies. It's a good thing to have all around anyway,they can eliminate guesswork or speculation.

See this link on how to get LST's;
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1374&p=8229&hilit=line+setting+ticket#p8229

Buzz, I have to refute this comment...
"Because not all the answers are in the parts books; some are ONLY found in the service manuals."

That isn't really factual,if a component was used in a truck,it's in the parts manual,the only exception would be "special equipment" which is a component not usually installed in a particular model or by IH in general.

The CTS-11 trans. listing is for the L-series,no mention of R's at all.

However,
The MT-97 lists four 5spd's for the R-160, two are direct in 5th & two are OD.
Code 1305 New Process 5spd. OD
Code 1306 New Process 5spd. Direct in 5th
Code 1322 New Process 5spd. OD
Code 1323 New Process 5spd. Direct in 5th
I believe 2 are the HP875 and 2 the HP975,one OD,one Dir. of each.

http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... ssions.pdf

Not sure which is which,they share the same case,top cover plus many internal parts. I didn't look at that in depth though. They are also Chassis number specific,so basically one replaced the other at some point.

The MT-98 (R-170/180) lists codes 1305/1306 but only for the R-1700. For the R-180 it lists only the F-51/F-51C with 4 codes that are Chassis number specific. I surmise that is for internal parts due to an "improvement" as the pn's for a new trans. are the same,which would likely be the improved version.

https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/2 ... 35332766/1

I tried searching for info on the NP trannies and it wasn't very fruitful,it's like hens teeth. Don't understand why,they were also used by the "Big 3" so I would think there would be more info out there.

As I don't have easy access to the MT-103 S-series parts manual I can't verify which transmissions where used. It is very likely the same ones were used in their respective models since the S-series was short lived and due to be replaced in less than 2 years. Unless that is the period when the HP875/975's were replaced by the NP540? All I know about that is, it occurred in the late 50's.

I did find this though;
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... hp?t=49535
Note post 12 on pg.2, confirms something I'd say.

Rex

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm

I ordered a line setting ticket already for the R 160, I might get one for the S afterwords. But that truck is a project for another day.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:23 pm

My comment about some things being found only in the service manuals was in reference to the shift patterns, gear ratios, and such. Parts manuals don't tell you what the ratio of second gear is for a particular transmission...but the service manual does.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:29 am

Buzzman72 wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear on this.

It's clear now. lol

What's got my curiosity up now is,that service manual (CTS-11/12) is supposed to be for the L & R correct? Is John's missing the "12" sections? I've noticed the same thing in other sections as well,L's listed but no R's. Did IH miss something (could it be? :o )? Does anyone have a complete manual?
Just wondering.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 am

Hello
for: 1968 Loadstar 1700

I don't have a manual to look up the oils to use in this vehicle.

Does anyone have the oil grades for this specific truck?

for:
Engine
Transmission 5 speed
Eaton 2 speed axle

good discussion on this board about oils but nothing I can find that is the specific grade and type of oils for this truck.

thanks John
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S