"IH" symbol verses "spiral" symbol on speedo gauge needle

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 pm

"IH" symbol verses "spiral" symbol on speedo gauge needle

Greetings,

I've got a question...I recently bought an entire speedometer gauge, housing, mechanism, etc. on ebay. One thing I noticed though it has a "spiral" design shown on the center cap? of the needle of the gauge where my old original one in my 1955 R110 has the "IH" symbol on it.

Does anyone know why some gauges have the spiral?...is it an after market model....or a later year speedo gauge...or...?

Thanks,

Neal

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 am

Re: "IH" symbol verses "spiral" symbol on speedo gauge needl

My R series has the red IH in the centre of the dials. My S series has the spiral. I like the IH better but I guess the spiral was an update when they came out with the S series trucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:52 am

I'm not sure when they changed, but my 51 L110 had the "Bull's Eye" circles on the speedo and I'm 99.999999999999999% sure it's original. I've noticed other gauges I've seen had the IH logo. I presume that logo started after the '51 model year, but not sure when the change occurred.
Attachments
IMG_0779x.jpg
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:23 am

WEW51L110 wrote:I'm not sure when they changed, but my 51 L110 had the "Bull's Eye" circles on the speedo and I'm 99.999999999999999% sure it's original. I've noticed other gauges I've seen had the IH logo. I presume that logo started after the '51 model year, but not sure when the change occurred.

You appear to have two un matched dials. Different ring on each. And only a gas gauge on the left dial? Was that ever an option? I have never seen one with less than all four gauges in the left dial. (gas, temp, amps, oil).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 am

L series has chromed dimple button in the middle,

R series has red IH in the middle,

S series has a mini target, or spiral if you like,

they all interchange easily, so if yours is different it's been swapped out sometime in the last 60 years.

the two gauges in the picture do not match at all, including bezel trim, definitely a transplant of speedo cluster,

don't know why oil, amp and temp have been blanked out on cluster, but didn't come from factory that way, IHC did a lot of funny stuff, but keep em guessing about engine status wasn't one of them,

do you have after market gauges under the dash? or how do you know your truck has oil pressure, or is charging, or not overheating?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 am

Terrible looking MACTAC wood. A spiral looks like a wound spring. A circle in a circle is concentric.
I have parted out about 10 L&R pickups and I have to say, there was a variety of gauge faces. About 50/50 with IH and the other had concentric circles. Green numerals on a cream face with a red pinstripe 3" circle and red needles, Red numerals on gloss black and red needles, a
few with flat black with yellow-ish glowing in the dark pointers. There were several fonts also. The gauges had various bulb covers in green or red and more often clear. One L had light bulbs in the left and right ports next to the high beam indicator that operated with the turn signals. I have given all of the gauges to MAGIHC MIKE. I'm going with AUTOMETER this time.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Another difference I have noticed is that the 'target type' on my S series has two gauges and two idiot lights. That's not an improvement in my book. My favorite is the 'IH' center and four gauges.

Dean
Last edited by dean466 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:39 pm

bedrockjon wrote:L series has chromed dimple button in the middle,

R series has red IH in the middle,

S series has a mini target, or spiral if you like,

they all interchange easily, so if yours is different it's been swapped out sometime in the last 60 years.

Jon has it right.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 am

Heres mine in the R160. I like the little IH symbol.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:19 pm

The gauges shown in my L110 were in it when I got it from my granddad 40 years ago. I know I didn't change them and I know he didn't change them. As for the fuel gauge only in the left one. If you'll look in the lower right corner of the photo, you'll see why the other three were blanked off. I DID that. There was an aftermarket gauge set bolted under the dash and I opened up the gauge to put electrical tape (black) over the openings of the gauges that weren't being used. Ergo the fuel only gauge in a 4 pod gauge. I have no explanation why there is no IH symbol, bulls eye circles, chrome buttons or anything on the left gauge. Maybe it dropped out when I opened up the gauge. After 40 years, it could have happened, but I don't remember that. Come to think of it, I may have blanked that out too.
As for the discoloration stated on the rings, I can't explain that either except that it could possible be old adhesive from the contact paper on one, but why it didn't affect the other........???????????? It's and old truck, pre-anything.
As for the wood grain, that's what contact paper "wood grain" looks like after about 38+ years of neglect. It's all gone now. That photo could be the "before" photo.
Attachments
IMG_1328a.jpg
"After" photo (and yes I know there's no ash tray!)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
Next

Return to L, R and S