Vapor lock or a bad fuel pump? Any thoughts?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Vapor lock or a bad fuel pump? Any thoughts?

I HAD A PROBLEM SOME WHAT A WHILE BACK, i HAVE ONE OF THE SNORKEL CAMERAS, MY PICK UP TUBE HAD PIN HOLES IN IT, CAP LOCKS MUST BE ON LOL

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Don't know if I missed it but I don't think so(?),I agree on the air leak could be the issue,but...
I didn't see mention of it might be as simple as the bowl gasket(?). If not seated right air can be sucked in and since the bowl doesn't fill all the way like it should you wouldn't see gas leaking out.
I don't think it's the fault of the vendor,others who have gotten pumps from them had only praise for them. I'd call them and ask,I'll wager they'd have an answer,pump's are what they do.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:39 pm

I agree, scottso. Those pot metal pump housings warp. Don't want to seal the gasket against the bowl. Yes.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:10 pm

yup, that's probably it ^^^^^^^^^but careful tightening up that glass bowl! they WILL break! don't ask me how I know this,,,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 pm

windigo69 wrote:I vote you're sucking air... I saw similar condition on fuel bowl on my marine engine. The pinhole in fuel line did not leak fuel out but could suck air in. I have noisy carter electric fuel pump on my v6 because the engine does not accept a manual fuel pump. I would much rather have a manual pump, more reliable IMO and no noise. Could be any connection in fuel line whether at pump or tank.. Good luck, you'll find it the last place you look

I agree with your feeling on a mechaincal pump. I once bought Fleetstar for $350 beccause they couldn't get it/keep it running. It had an electric pump bypassing the defective mechanical. I replaced the pump and the truck ran fine. No more problems. The best electricals (Like Tolkiem in tank units) are good and expensive. Cheap "universal" ones are more likely to leave you stranded then a mechanical. Had my share of cheap electricals at a bus company, went with high quality Holley or Carter "race" (motor driven) electricals when mechanical replacements were not avaiable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 pm

1984: Fuel line restriction. There is no such thing as "sucking" . A pump should reduce pressure in the fuel line between the pump and the fuel tank. It is the atmospheric pressure, on the surface of the fuel in the tank that pushes the fuel toward the low pressure area made by the pump.
My neighbour gave me his one year old F150 because neither he or his favorite shop of dummies could get the fuel to stop "boiling". The F truck would run slowly and stumble on poor acceleration. His wife called me and when I arrived, She signed the registration over to me. We towed the F truck home on a rope, it was less then 100 meters. My biker buddy crawled under the F truck and came out with a VICE-GRIP that he had discovered on the flex fuel line. Very suddenly and without warning, the Ford started to run like new. Well, it did have only a few thousand kilometers on it. My best guess is the clamp on the fuel line was in retaliation for something. I sold the F truck, at work, in a few days.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S