Need some help with a 53 R-120

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Need some help with a 53 R-120

Picked up a 53 R-120.

Few questions. First off, it is missing 3 of the 5 hub caps. I found some on eBay, but they measure about 9 3/4" around. Mine are almost 11" round. Any clue where I can find 3 more of these babies?

Second, the truck came from an deceased gentleman's estate sale with a bill of sale, no title. The VIN plate is missing as well. Getting a state issued VIN and title is an absolute nightmare in Colorado. Is it possible to get a title/VIN/frame from another truck to use? If so, where would I go looking for this?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Need some help with a 53 R-120

you have the 6 lug split rims? then you need the 12" caps with 10" inside measured. rather than the 10" caps with 8" inside measure

the 3 diamond ones are Very hard to find, not re-popped yet, you Can get re-popped ones that size that have later IH logo rather than the 3 diamond logo you need.

actually later R had the IH ones so you Can use them,

http://www.oldinternationaltrucks.ca/products/?CatID=92

Name: IH Hubcap - 10" I.D.
Part: 155139R1

Price
$112.81
Description
Canadian or American - 10" inside diameter - 3/4 ton

I have a set of 3 diamond ones mint condition, not for sale,

every once in a while you will see old METRO vans on Craigslist for sale, sometimes they had the bigger caps, you might be able to talk the guy into selling them off it.

if he doesn't know value, good clean ones go $160-$240 depending on who is bidding,

nothing International is cheap anymore
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 26, 2014 5:51 pm

dubseven wrote: Is it possible to get a title/VIN/frame from another truck to use? If so, where would I go looking for this?

20 years ago this would have been simple, but anymore I'd avoid doing anything illegal to get a new VIN issued. Have you talked to your local DMV about how they recommend you doing it? A bill of sale might go a long ways, but sometimes a hand-written note might be needed to reassure the DMV people that everything is legal with your title application.
There are only about 2500 people in my whole county. I know each of the DMV ladies on a first-name basis and I can go there and talk to them without worry of anybody standing in line or getting crabby about me taking too much time. If this would be possible for you, I'd recommend talking to someone there who really cares about their job (yea, good luck) and will sit and work with you.
Good luck. I hate titles (or bills of sale) that have strings attached to them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Where was the truck Last Titled? You do know that the Chassis number is probably what it was titled on. That can be located on the chassis, just ahead of the steering gear box on the drivers side. Your telling us that the DATA plate is gone? It will be a 4x5 plate(or there about) It could be located on the edge of the door, it could be located on the kick panel to the left of the Driver, I have even seen them put on the Firewall like the older trucks.
IF it was titled last in your state, the chassis number should come up in a search, if not, check the engine serial number(some areas used that) If no go on either of those, You will need as much information from the sellers as you can gather. As stated, Question a knowledgeable person at the DMV to see what they require. They might issue a conditional title if the chassis number does not show up in the state. At least that is some of the things you can try.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am

Truck was titled in Colorado, were I got the truck.

Yes the data plate is gone. Ill check for a chassis number shortly here.

One other thing - where would one find a fuel level sender for said truck?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 27, 2014 9:08 am

dubseven wrote:Truck was titled in Colorado, were I got the truck.

Yes the data plate is gone. Ill check for a chassis number shortly here.

One other thing - where would one find a fuel level sender for said truck?

fuel level senders are made of unobtainium, only one works with original gauge, no other will "talk" to gauge,

I have a few NOS, not for sale though, Rarely one will surface on eBay.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

A friend of mine just recently told me that Alabama doesn't require a title for registration for anything before 1975. I can't verify this and as stated above wouldn't recommend doing anything illegal.They make the rules, we just play by them.You'd need a Buddy in Al.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 am

Ok, here is word from Colorado DMV Title: IF the seller can find Title or documentation of registration(family member) They can go in to get a "duplicate title"(their title data base is purged about every 10 years.(except on active titles/registrations) Once they have that new title, they can then transfer/sale to another person. Short of that: you need to go in for a "in lieu of Bond" Some of that process is: Getting a CERTIFIED vin inspection by the appropriate Law enforcement officer. Getting a valuation on the vehicle in AS is condition. Once that is done they will assign a vin to the vehicle and attach it(they are the only ones who can attach the vin plate). Then you go into the DMV and follow the appropriate procedures, once done, they will issue a New clear Title to you. Give them a call at 303-205-5607, this is the office out side of Denver area. Very nice fellow I talked to. As I said, the easiest way is for the sellers to get the title(even if you pay their fees)(my opinion) The other way is a process and MUST be followed. Just takes some more time.
As for getting a title in another state, Probably, but could be scrutinized as "trying' to wash a title. Probably not as much of a concern for an old vehicle, but.....
You can acquire a Data plate and recreate the info that would have been on it so your truck looks original. The data plate is NOT your Vin plate number.
Good luck in which ever way you go. It is generally not as scary as it would seem to get a title for something. Just make sure that you ask the right questions. How do I get a Title, I only have this documentation, That was all that was provided. TRY to find a clerk who has been working for a while, not a "newby". Talk to the Office of the number I put in the post, and they will direct you to the right areas.
Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 pm

I have a R100 and R110(?) pickup vin tags. I'm going to sell the two trucks as a package or part them out.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:57 pm

I can not in good conscience recommend that a person put another data tag on a truck that it does not belong to. The Chassis number MUST match if you are trying to get a title that matches those things. If a state issues an assigned vin, then it is probably not an issue any more, as long as you do not fool with the vin tag that the state puts on. Best advice to anyone is to contact your state DMV to see what it will take and what route to go to get a title, in your name, using the correct legal route. Of Course, a signed title and bill of sale is always the best and easiest way to accomplish that.
Next

Return to L, R and S