L110 EMBLLEMS

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun May 25, 2014 9:38 am

L110 EMBLLEMS

Where would be a good place to find good used/repro International L110 emblems for the front fenders on a 52 L110? Had a look but seem to be expensive on ebay etc, anywhere else would be a good place to contact/try? And should these be in block lettering or what i think they should be, the handwritten style?
Thanks Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 10:33 am

Re: L110 EMBLLEMS

should be block letters not script, they came either chromed pot metal, or stamped stainless, there are painted pot metal too,

nothing International is cheap anymore, search Craigslist, don't come up often, I might have some, I'll look.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 10:35 am

Put an ad in the classifieds section.
This guy would probably have some
http://www.magihcvintagetruck.ca/trucks ... r-sale.php

You can search IHC truck parts on google and come up with other ih scout parts vendors that would sell older used parts as well.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 11:32 am

What you need to realize is that these are NOT Ford or Chevy trucks. So there basically is NO "reproduction" parts market out there.

Original-style emblems/nameplates COULD be made...but not in a mass-produced, profitable manner. Because the market for thousands of pieces simply isn't there. And making smaller quantities of any item is always more expensive per unit.

I've always thought that if someone was to "donate" the time, labor, and skill involved, they could machine some replacement emblems out of stainless billet. But even these emblems wouldn't be cheap, if you could find someone who do it.

It COULD happen...because, unlike making up a gas tank to sell, there's a LOT less potential liability involved.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 1:14 pm

What is happening to me? I am agreeing with B72, again AAAWWWWGGGG!!!
I do not do very much for anyone anymore. I found it nearly impossible to recover my cost for the materials. If this is any comfort to anyone on this forum, being cheap is not limited to IH owners. The persons who don't mind spending what it takes to get it done only stop by here for a visit.
I am still annoyed that I could not get anyone close to a fuel tank manufacturer to drop off an L,R, or S side tank for an example. I tried, but the logistics of getting a used fuel tank out of CANADA and into the USA is not going to happen.
I don't have CNC so I do the hand lay-out then manually mill out the emblems that I need. Either way, old school or CNC, it is going to cost a few bucks. A person does not need anything terribly expensive in a milling machine to make a few IH badges, gauge pod or a dash insert. Check Craigslist for a good deal on someone changing their mind. A new technology that is starting to become very affordable is the 3D printer. Check it out on You Tube. Jay leno has one. Think about starting something that makes something. Waiting cannot be any fun. I made it myself is a good feeling. Use your Imagineering.
I am nearing 70 and I am finished dealing with people, for the most part, with only a few exceptions. I would rather give something away and avoid the frustration of never seeing the money that was agreed on. The shortest wait that I had, outside of up-front cash, was a year, others have never paid. One promise to pay was a NOS R-L steering wheel. After nearly 7 years having passed, I doubt that I will ever get paid for the wheel or the freight. One person could not live without several unopened cases of 30 weight oil and had to have them right now. The problem started when I agreed to allow them to pay later because "I forgot my wallet today". My daughter just happened to be at a big automotive swap meet with her BF and saw Mr. I. Forgot My Wallet, selling my 30 wt. oil that he had not paid for. She collected the money and I let her keep it for herself.
I think that any person in this hobby should have PayPal and be prepared to use it.
Attachments
Battery box handle.jpg
about two hours, I made a second one for an engine cover.
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo.jpg
milled insert for a hubcap about an hour, I made four and have blanks for 8 more.
HOME-MADE DASH INSERT.jpg
milled from a piece of aluminum. about 7 hours
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 2:33 pm

MAKE IT YOURSELF.
Snivelling about the high prices of parts that are often unavailable depresses everyone. Get out of your, I hate the word, Man Cave, and into the shop and build something. Start a trend and be memorable. If you think that you cannot do something it is probably because you have not tried to do it.
Up your WOW factor. There is little or no personal satisfaction in driving a survivor. None of it was your ideas. Make it better and build the bits you need.
Attachments
BMW seat adapter bases.jpg
about $15 each to make then yourself. Seat adapters can be made for almost any seat.
COIL COVER  CHARGE AIR TUBE AIT CLEANER CANNISTER AND COVER UPPER STAINLESS WATER PIPES.jpg
Lots of time. air cleaner canister, airfilter cover, stainless water pipes, coil cover, emblem, dipstick knob and oil filler cap complete with modern internal ratchet and the supercharger duct
Mallory dual point convertion to tone wheel.jpg
The distributor was $20 the bits and pieces were a few hours and $20 the Old Mallory now signals a TEC3r ECU

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun May 25, 2014 6:37 pm

OK, thanks for your replies.
I knew some parts would be difficult to find for these trucks but thought if anyone would know where to get them it would be here.
I did have the emblems, bad tale of how i lost them.....
I just bought this truck, i live in the UK.
I had the truck hauled to the port for shipping to the UK. When it got to the port they would not let it on with 3 boxes inside the cab so the hauler had to take them out and drop them at the shippers warehouse so the truck could enter the port to be shipped. I checked with the previous owner who said there were a couple of old generators and starters plus the emblems for the fenders in the boxes.
They will cost a good amount of $$ to come seperately to the truck to the UK, also they will go to the other end of the country to where i am.
I am working on a way to bring them here at reasonable cost or may ask the shipper to put the badges in a padded bag and mail them to me....the starter has only just been rebuilt and the charging is now on a 12 volt system so i have to think if they are really worth paying the shipping costs for, annoying when they were inside the truck but i suppose they were visible....i have shipped other cars previously with trunks full of parts and nothing been said.
By the way, very nice machinework.
Thanks Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 pm

I have more Binder Bling than I can use in my lifetime. PM or email me and we can work something out.
I am fairly sure I can find some more around the shop. I have been trying to put the badges into a common drawer when ever I see one lying about. The cast INTERNATIONAL badges are often pitted, but unless broken, can be nicely repaired and made service ready. On one set, I spent more than a few hours carefully filling the pits and sanding with a chopstick wrapped in 250 paper, after a good glass beading in the cabinet.
I am trying to talk my son out of using the badges because they are often stolen.
It is a very good idea to heat cycle these old castings to remove as much of the off gassing from the zinc and possibly other metals in the mix. If you were to raise the temperature up to 120C and let it cool several times, that should do the trick.
There is a spray on chrome finish that can look almost as good as the originals. If you do go for powder coating, it is mandatory to fill the pits with a high temperature filler like LAB METAL. Each to their own choice on the chrome thingee, but I would rather have my badges in paint, on an OLD IHC. On our R120 I matched the INTERNATIONAL to the argent color of the running boards, window moldings, dashboard and seat frame. I also did a 2 inch wide stripe on the canopy I built for the "R". Just a suggestion.
Attachments
R120 IN 1991.jpg
The R120 at a show and shine in 1991+/-
DRAWERS OF BADGING.jpg
Part of a out of control collection.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 26, 2014 10:13 am

I have badges and logos, plus all kinds of parts stashed everywhere too,

I tell my wife "this is ALL worth money, if something happens to me, don't yard sale it for pennies"

she says " well, you better tag each one with what it is, and how much it's worth then"

my reply "yard sale it"
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:56 am

My pot metal emblems are pitted as well. The L110 Emblems are not too bad but the International ones are really pitted.
I modeled up a 3D model of both emblems and I plan to ask a friend if he can machine them for me or possibly look at some 3D printers as Nickkinut has mentioned. I have access to the ones that use plastic but not metal powder. Depends on the price or course.

Nice collection of emblems Nickkinut. When you made your own emblems for your projects, what material did you use and what was
the best way to polish them when finished? Did you add a clear coat to them?
Attachments
Door Emblems.jpg
Photo1211.jpg
Photo1212.jpg
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller