oil filter conversion kit-does anyone know about it?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm

oil filter conversion kit-does anyone know about it?

$_12.JPG
image of oil filter conversion kit?

Greetings,

I obtained a oil filter conversion kit? in its original box with part number 538828 R91 does anyone know about its application?...for example is it's purpose for converting from the sock type filter to a fiber/paper filter? Have you used or seen one or know where I can see instructions or applications for use? I hope the image got attached okay and below is a web link that I hope works too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191159785572?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

thanks Neal

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: oil filter conversion kit-does anyone know about it?

A search yielded numerous hits. Here's one from a well respected vendor-

http://www.cngco.com/oem.engine.html

Listing says it fits International A through 350 tractors.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 07, 2014 9:44 pm

I believe this converts a canister filter to a spin-on...
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:53 am

The only way I see to find IF it will fit a truck engine is to find what filter the tractors listed in the link Dean posted. If the tractors use the sock element 70690H (same as the SD/BD) it just might work.
I checked the pn for the spin-on element and it comes back to a Baldwin BT341 which is a by-pass filter (same as the cartridge). So you would have to use this type filter but not necessarily Baldwin,it crosses to WIX (NAPA) or FRAM and probably others.
The adapter mounts using the gasket same as you would with the canister and the stud replaces the long bolt. The stud may have to be torqued(?),to what though?

I posted that same Baldwin number here along with 2 others and their length;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3562&start=30
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 5:01 am

I didn't dig deep enough to find a definite answer, but it looks doubtful that this will work on an SD/BD engine. The original oil filter part number for those tractors appears to be 63855D.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:49 pm

I agree with Dean. I crossed the pn he posted to see if it uses the same gasket as the 70690H and it does not. The filter 63855D and gasket are a little over 1 inch smaller in diameter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Let's back up a moment.

I've had years of experience with the letter-series Farmalls and their oil filters. They use a cartridge filter, not a sock. BUT...the diameter of the gasket that comes with the filter has everything to do with the diameter of the filter COVER, and a lot less to do with the size of the filter itself. On the letter-series Farmalls, the gasket goes into a machined groove in the filter base, and the cover then fits INTO that groove as well.

In theory, they could've used any diameter filter cover--and gasket--they wanted, as long as the filter itself seated, and the groove in the base matched the diameter of the filter cover.

The Deluxe bypass filter that uses the 70690H sock filter on the SD-220 is completely different from this setup...the relationship between the base [85336R11] and the gasket [64096R1] are completely different.

In other words...you're comparing apples and oranges.

The Michiana filter's relationship between the base and the gasket are more like the one on the letter-series Farmalls. And the base gasket for the Michiana is 94246H, for filter cartridge 92629H.

BUT... my conclusion is, this spin-on adapter won't work on an SD-220. For entirely different reasons than everyone else's reasons.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 pm

You just didn't get the gist of why I used the gasket as a size basis. It's all in how the written word is comprehended,maybe I could have been more concise(?).
No matter what type of cartridge, be it cotton sock or paper, or how the can fits a base,the subject one is over an inch less in diameter. That indicates to me there is no way the adapter can be properly sealed to the base of the SD/BD engines. I looked the filter up and saw it's material and composition but it still had no bearing on the point I was aiming for, the diameter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Scott, I think you and I are in agreement...we just took different roads to get there.

It's all good.

I was pointing out that, if your truck had the Deluxe filter on an SD-220, there;s no way the adapter would work on the filter base...because the base is made differently than the TYPE of filter base that the adapter would fit. And while the Michiana filter base IS the correct TYPE to use with a similar adapter, I doubted it would work because the diameter of the letter-series Farmall oil filter base is smaller than the Michiana, so it's about 110% certain that the spin-on adapter wouldn't work with that one, either.

So I think, as I said, that we got to the same place by taking different roads.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Buzz, I see a fork in the road,you gonna pick it up or am I? :lol:

Sure would like to find some AG engine parts manuals, I found one for the U 220,240,264 stationary power units a few days ago. (by Googling a 220 short block pn) Be good for comparing things and avoid conjecture. Image
Internally the same but even their oil filter base is different,they have an oil cooler that mounts to it.
Next

Return to L, R and S