front leaf springs outside the frame rails?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 pm

front leaf springs outside the frame rails?

Hey All!

Any safety/driving/tire wear prohibitions against mounting the front (steering) axle leaf springs outside the frame rails? I looked online, but couldn't find anything either way.

What say you?

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: front leaf springs outside the frame rails?

Some big rigs have the spring offset out side the frame rail, so As long as the mounts are strong enough that part would be ok. My main concern would be "would it interfear with the tire on hard turns?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks CB!

I acquired a set of Dana 70 axles from a 1970 one ton International. The springs sit just outside the '56 frame rails, and I'm contemplating installing new mounts and using the springs that came with the axles.

While you're here, I notice the center point of these springs is not centered longitudinally. That is to say, there seems tho be more spring in front of the center bolt than behind it. Any reason for this? Would it matter if they were flipped the opposite way? If I could, it would keep me from having tho add to the front of the frame.

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 pm

My big trucks are that way, I think the shorter portion useally goes to the "fixed" end of the spring, the longer to the shackle end. Do you know which end had the shackle? There is a lot of "science" that goes into designing springs and I don't know 1/2 of it. It think it has something to do with the rate of deflection. Just make sure the steering box is at the fixed end of the spring, not the shackle end.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:36 pm

no, i really don't know the stock setup. but if i swapped them, that would match your description; the short portion would be closest to the steering box. that would also be better for my axle location, and would negate having to extend the frame towards the front. :)

john

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 am

I checked photos of the old arrangement in my truck and the shackle goes to the rear to absorb the movement due to deflection of the springs. The fixed pivot point is to the front.

In addition to the tire clearance at full turn either way, with the springs outboard, would there be any interference with the swing of the pitman arm and/or the drag link as they pivot through their arcs and the springs compress. Lots of geometry there to verify clearance.

Next concern is, do the new axles keep your tires inside the front fenders and the tires clear at lock-to-lock positions with compressed springs? Dana 70, I assume means you're going 4x4, fender clearance may be a moot point if the fenders are high enough above the tires.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks Guys!

The relationship of the steering arc to the springs would be the same as the donor truck in this scenario. The axle is a little wider than stock, but nothing that couldn't be covered with a little fender flair.

My '56 is already a 4x4. My goal is to upgrade to newer 8 lug rims, better availability of brake parts and tubeless tires.

I'm thinking I might have to box the frame and re-engineer the steering box mount and adapt a new power steering box.

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 pm

My memory is fuzzy about whether or not someone a few years ago reported on adapting a power steering rack onto their straight axle. Is something like that possible in this scenario? Then the only things you'd need is the ability to add the steering pump, rack and pinion unit, and adapt to your steering column. Obviously, it's a little more involved than that, but they are the three major elements. Just thinking around the box.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

WEW51L110 wrote:I checked photos of the old arrangement in my truck and the shackle goes to the rear to absorb the movement due to deflection of the springs. The fixed pivot point is to the front.

Not all tucks are set up that way, My K's have the shackle at the front, with the soild mount at the back, with the steering gear at the back. It depends on how it was designed from the get -go. It is most common to have the shackle at the rear of the spring, but many do have it at the front. I think Jeeps do, and I know the K series does.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:20 am

The photo of the shackle (rear) end is from my truck (L110) and the photo of the fixed (front) end is from a collection of photos I have of L models ('51 L112 from BC).
Attachments
P9210813.jpg
Fixed end of L model
A0037.jpg
Shackle end of L model
Next

Return to L, R and S