51 vent windwo assembly

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:54 pm

51 vent windwo assembly

Anyone know all the years that the vent windwo assembly will interchange for the 51 L110 , I think the 53-55 R line is the same can anyone verify Thanks you mark

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Re: 51 vent windwo assembly

I believe that they are the same, IF the back window is the same, IE two windows in the back of the cab. I think that the single windowed cab in the later R series had a Taller Door window, thus a taller vent window. The only way to truly tell is to check out the Manuals.
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/facts_manuals.html lists the R parts manual.
http://nwaringa.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/mt-63-manual/ is the L parts manual
another site to Look at as you need: https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:59 pm

i wish i had a truck to know but all i have is a door , but i can compare them both, I happen to have a door close to me that i can get my hands on that has a decent vent window assembly in it. My 51 its pretty bad. Thanks for the help i will read up some and see what i can find in the manuals. thanks again Mark

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 pm

doors with swing down exterior handle and paper interior liner have the shorter glass & wing,

the doors with push button exterior handle and all metal interior have the taller glass & wing,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:49 am

FYI. Be aware there were two different styles of vent windows for the L110, having to do with the pivot assembly. Looking in the parts manuals should let you know the difference. I can't recall the two manufacturers involved, and whether they are interchangeable or not, I cannot say. I first got an inkling about this from the original entries to this forum by Nick Waringa. He had to actually reconstruct a pivot shaft because one was twisted and discovered there were two styles of assemblies. There may still be links to his pictures and descriptions. Examining the manuals and your own vents, hopefully all will work out. My L110 had good vents, so they only needed freshening up.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm

I just got all the flat side glass from for my 1955 R132 dump from www.vintageglass.com

They will have the patterns. The glass was a perfect match. Now I just have to get the old vent windows out of the metal frames....

There is obviously a bit of a difference between the L, R and S windows, because he needed a height and width measurement to be sure he had the right pattern. I would have bet they were all the same....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 am

All of my glass came from Vintage Glass as well.

Also, I found that the two names of the different styles of vent windows are: Excel Corp. with the double D shaft and Troy Sunshade using a threaded shaft.
The diagrams with IH part numbers for these are in the MT-63, Group 16, Cab, Cowl, and Bodies manual, pages, D26 & D27.
The Excel Corp. style is the one Waringa had to rebuild because the double D part was twisted. As long as all the parts are used per the style of the vent window, it would seem logical they would interchange in the door.
If no one else posts a link to these pages, I'll try to scan them and post them that way.
Last edited by WEW51L110 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:23 pm

I finally got the pages into a picture format. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_1597.jpg
Excel Corp
IMG_1598.jpg
Troy Sunshade

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Hate to jump a thread,but were replacing the vent window glass in our 55r100 it has a tapered male and female in the lower hinge.our problem is we can't remove the tapered male side from the fine thread stud. We've tried PB blaster, praying, swearing heating beating and still no luck is this thing supposed to come off? We've got new weatherstrip and glass and don't want to cut it when we install it. Thanks Sandusky

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

I would think you could knock the pin out of the shaft and unscrew the whole assembly. That is going to have to turn or your vent window isn't going to open and close. Once you have it off you could rest the outer fitting on the edges of a vice, with those tabs not resting on anything and maybe tap the inner piece out of it. If that doesn't work email me and I'll send you one off a R110 I have. I need the "T" bolts so it isn't a big problem to send you the piece you need.

Don G
Next

Return to L, R and S