A/C on a SD220

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

A/C on a SD220

Does anybody have pics. of mounting a a/c compressor on an old sd220 engine? We just mounted a alternator reusing the old geny bracket and adding a piece of 3/8" X 2" steel to the top of it and welding a bracket for the alt. to pivot in . There isn't much room on the Drivers side of the engine so we're thinking of using some mandrel bent tubing to make the rad. to snake around the Compressor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sandusky

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Re: A/C on a SD220

My best guess would be using a couple of the head bolts and a manifold bolt or two, like on the old power assist steering pumps, I don't have a pic of the bracket but I know it was heavy duty. Oh, you may want to install a strut rod on the top of your new alternator, like the newer chevs did, just a suggestion to hold it straight. Also on the compressor, I know a friend did this on an old ford six, he has sold the truck last year, but it worked for him.
kevin

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: A/C on a SD220

Somebody on the old forum told me he had used a mounting bracket from a 327 chev and it worked o.k. I'm just about ready to put A/C on mine so I'm going to the junk yard to look for a bracket. If I find something that works I'll let you know.

Don

Return to L, R and S