woke up the beast

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm

woke up the beast

finally got some free time to work on the 56, rebuilt the carb, new fuel pump, blew out fuel lines, and new filters.

cranks a few seconds and fired right up, this is the one with the 304 V8. no brakes I found out while turning it around in the driveway.

now at least I don't have to stand in the blackberries to work on it.

motor sounds strong, but top end is clattery, my IHC buddy said to run some rizlone to clean up the hydraulic lifters, then change oil.
Attachments
IMG_1941.JPG
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: woke up the beast

How's that 304 fit in there? Don't recall anyone doing that,it's usually a boring old SBC. :roll:

I just noticed your quote, Dr. Strangelove. Love it! One of my favorite flicks. Was fluoridation really a commie plot???
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:45 am

I think Mike Miller put an SV in an L,R,S series truck. If I recall, about all he had to do was move the steering shaft.

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

well this thing is actually a hodgeopdged hillbilly mechanic mess,

from what I can figure so far, they took the 56 travelall body and set it on a 65-67 era International 4X4 frame, from what the steering wheel looks like.
OK that's good, they did a reasonable job of mounting the body,

now as I was working on fuel system I notice the front motor mount of the 304 has a chunk of frame cross member from whatever it was taken out of then welded to the
what I'm guessing mid 60s frame, so maybe original 60s frame had a 6 ? :t0119:

I removed about 300 feet of wiring that went all over the place to nowhere and back under the dash.

the late model bucket seats were screwed down with 1" drywall screws to 2X4s that were bolted to the floor :shock:

I now have stock front 2/3 seat and the flip up buddy seat for it, need to get them recovered.

it's a mess for sure, oh, and the steering column,,,,,since it is the proper one for the frame, it clears the motor fine, it just comes into the cab wompus, off to one side, that's all :t2102:

my ideal plan would to find a good original travelall frame to set the body on, this body is in surprisingly good shape considering the issues this design had,

but till then I think I'll put a hot rod steering column in with u-joints to put it in proper place and clear the motor. and install a drum/drum master cylinder I have to replace the bad single port one,

but hey at least it starts and runs,,, I don't have to sit in it and make Vroom Vroom noises anymore. :t0201:
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Still have that one I sent you pictures of.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am

Sounds like an entertaining project. I always chuckle at the bodges that I find when rebuilding stuff. I'm sure they were doing the best they knew how. It just scares me sometimes that they risked their lives with these kluges. Drywall screws... Haha
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 am

That's what amazes me about the Rat Rods I've seen. Many of them are held together by spit, bailing wire and drywall screws. And that's the better ones! I'm all for "old school" rods as long as some good, safe, proven practices are used. It's not just the driver and passenger(s) lives at stake, it's also the lives of those in other vehicles or the pedestrians when some sub-standard fastener turns loose.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Return to L, R and S