Upgrade System

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Upgrade System

Has anyone upgraded to 12 volt with a high output alternator,A/C and a sound system? We're also going to add Woodward Gauges,new wiring harness, trying to make this as painless as possible.We're still waiting on the Cab to come back from the body shop. I've been informed that the wide v belt may not be up to the task. I'm out of my league here, Help if you can! Thanks,Sandusky. We've been considering turning down the crankshaft and water pump pulleys and adding a narrower automotive pulley,at this time well be able to line up the water pump and crankshaft pulleys as we've noticed they're out of alignment .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Upgrade System

Why wouldn't the wide belt be any good? Seems to me it would have more holding ability than the narrow belt becuase of a larger surface area.

For what it's worth, I bought a 65A Delco 10SI alternator with a 3/4" pulley. Seems it outta be enough to run A/C, tunes, and other stuff OK.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:28 pm

sandusky wrote: We've been considering turning down the crankshaft and water pump pulleys and adding a narrower automotive pulley,at this time well be able to line up the water pump and crankshaft pulleys as we've noticed they're out of alignment .

if you have a stock SD motor, some of the water pumps that bolt up had different length output shafts for some reason, maybe difference between SD, BD and BG motors?

probably can get the right pump for it, and you can change out the skinny pulley of the alternator with one off a gen. or run a skinny belt in the wide pulley.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks, I talked to Speedway they sell a 5/8pulley for a A/C Delco alternator also found a adjustable pulley that will work with my new a/c system it goes out to 3/4 Soooo I might be okay .I wasn't a looking forward to machining the crank pulley and fan pulley down and rebuilding them with 3/8 automotive pulleys.thanks oh yes we have a stock sd220 so ill have to check shaft length it looks like our water pump is about 1/8" long ,or at least the pulley is 1/8" out of alignment.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 pm

If we've got room. I'm thinking a little bit ahead here or maybe over thinking , I was wondering if it gets to busy on the gen./ alternator side of the engine,I could mount another pulley on the existing crankshaft pulley it's got 2 holes that are tapped and was thinking I could make use of them for mounting another pulley to drive the compressor, might have to put some standoffs to make it stable enough that way we could move the compressor anywhere we wanted without to many short runs. Just thinking out loud. Thanks for everyones input.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 pm

sandusky wrote:Thanks, I talked to Speedway they sell a 5/8pulley for a A/C Delco alternator also found a adjustable pulley that will work with my new a/c system it goes out to 3/4 Soooo I might be okay .I wasn't a looking forward to machining the crank pulley and fan pulley down and rebuilding them with 3/8 automotive pulleys.thanks oh yes we have a stock sd220 so ill have to check shaft length it looks like our water pump is about 1/8" long ,or at least the pulley is 1/8" out of alignment.

true confession on how I know this,

I got a replacement water pump for my SD-220 a long time ago, 20+ yrs. and it was the slightly shorter shaft,

no problem says I, I'll just put washers between the pulley assembly and the end of the pump, bolt the fan on.

well, that lasted for a few thousand miles, then one day the whole pulley assembly shattered and threw the fan into the radiator,

fortunately I had everything to replace it all with, got the right pump, and no more problems.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Wow! Ill take care of the water pump! Oh by the way in a previous post I was applauding the great way that we had our cab stripped,baked in an oven acid dipped then neutralized. Well she's ready for paint, all wet sanded and now were seeing a continued lifting of the primer.Man do I feel Stupid. Looks like we're going to take her and have her media blasted ,like we should of in the first place. What was it that Gump said" Stupid is as Stupid Does"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Addding additional belt driven accessories after the fact can be a challenge. Custom mounts will need to be purchased or made. The water pump hose is an obstacle on the Distributor side of the engine. Looks to be room above the generator for an AC pump on the exhaust side of the engine. Because of the front engine mount...keeping pulleys in line will be a challenge. If someone has a pic of a set up with an AC compressor and pwr steering options I'd love to see those. While I don't plan to add those accessories, it's nice to see what can be done if so desired.

For what it's worth, I bought a 65A Delco 10SI alternator with a 3/4" pulley. Seems it outta be enough to run A/C, tunes, and other stuff OK.

Is there a min size Alternator for the 12V upgrade. Is 65A the minimum one should buy?
Attachments
Distibutor side.jpg
Exhaust side.jpg
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 am

You need to figure the draw of your electrical consumers (Amps= watts/volts). I'm figuring my truck at full tilt may pull about 50amps with all the gadgets going full bore (minus the starter of course). That's high and low beams, fogs, markers, flashers, radio, heater, and wipers. I will still have about 25% extra capacity with a 65amp alt. Since my headlights wont light both filaments at the same time (dimmer switch wont allow it) i've got about another 10amp cushion on top of that 25%. Guess i can drive down the road blaring the horn now too- haha. The 10si body alt can be had in current outputs from as little as 30-35amps to outputs north of 100amps.

Unless you're installing massive amps to go with your stereo or youre going to light it up like a christmas tree I'd imagine a 65-85amp alt will be more than sufficient to run your truck and top off the battery as needed.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

This is all good knowledge! and Very much appreciated. A wealth of tech.expertise, along with some good old "Horse Sense" thrown in for good measure. Thanks Looking like we will probably be mounting the compressor to the exhaust side as stated above, unless we can figure a way to snake the lower rad. hose out of the way with out causing to much trouble.I'd think after the above calculations a 65 amp alternator should be sufficient. Thanks again.
Next

Return to L, R and S