Carter carb 435S

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Carter carb 435S

My L112 truck rebuild is fighting me all the way. New kit in the carb and new fuel pump but won't run unless I pour gas into the throat. Fuel pump is pumping gas to the carb but it sure doesn't seem to have much pressure or volume. Fuel lines is all exposed and look solid with no cracks or leaks. Suction tube into tank is in good shape and tank has been completely reconditioned. Rebuilt the engine and now have 100 lbs of compression with new points, plugs, etc. My goal is to get it running before I put the cab on. I'm thinking of finding another carb to see if that is the problem but hate to spend much money if it's not the issue. This is a frame up restoration and have experienced my share of troubles but it keeps me out of the house and in the shop although the bank balance is going down faster than budgeted.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Carter carb 435S

When you pump the throttle are you seeing fuel shoot into the throat/ventury? The pump doesn't pump much more than 2-3 psi if memory serves...might pull the air horn off and make sure the float is mobile...

Keep after it. You'll get it.

John

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:59 pm

The pump does shoot gas into throat ,float has new seat and needle and adjusted to 25/64 height. I took the line off carb and ran it into a can. It didn't really shoot out but flowed out in sputs without much pressure and litttle volume. Was not continuous. Think maybe I got a bad pump? I have taken the darn carb apart 3 times already and running out of ideas.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 pm

If the diaphragm is stretched (possibly due to ethanol gas) it will not perform correctly. It could have a miniscule perforation in it, which would make it not perform correctly also. It needs to be a strong squirt of fuel into the barrel.
Those are my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am

fuel pump should squirt with authority, if you are getting just a little, it's not the carb,

either fuel pump is bad, fuel line clogged, in line filter clogged, pick up in tank clogged or un-vented gas cap causing back suction that fuel pump can't overcome.

need to eliminate each one at a time, you'll get it.

take a rubber hose from inlet and stick it in a gas can with fuel in it, stick outlet hose into a receiving can,

crank it over for about 5-10 seconds, you should move a good amount of gas, if you don't, fuel pump is bad, if you do, there is an issue between it and tank.

Use proper precaution when dealing with gas like this, best to do this outside with a fire extinguisher nearby
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Well, the problem has been solved. Turned out to be a plugged line going into the fuel tank. Thanks much for the good words of advice and encouragement. Now on to the next phase and with my luck next problem but I am still having fun.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 pm

That's the main thing - Have Fun!! (Plus get out of the house, stay away from worse habits, . . .)

Return to L, R and S