IH 6 cylinders...

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:14 pm

IH 6 cylinders...

I know this is the wrong section, but it spans multiple sections of the forum. So I decided to post it here. Is there any place that lists out all of the IH 6 cylinder motors? I know there is different designations (GD,BD, etc) and different c.i.d. I have also heard that IH ran babbit bearings and sodium filled valves well into the fifties. I dont know if that's true or not, but is there one place where its all listed out? Im planning on a truck build lol.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I just seen there is a general forum up top. Is there anyway this can be moved there? Im sorry... :t1812:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: IH 6 cylinders...

Chris this is probably where you can find most of that information. http://preview.wisconsinhistory.org/Con ... Nav=N:1167

Plus some of the areas in the Library, in other folks sites.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:59 pm

IHC ran insert bearings back into the 30's. Chevy used babbited rods into the early 50's. Sodium cooled valves were used on the heay truck motors but not the light truck sixes.
There are 5 basic familys of inlines 6's used over the years from the early 30's to the end of gasoline engines in the 70's.
For light trucks, they had the GRD flathead (Willys design), then the SD, BD BG series of 6's (220, 240/ 241, 264/265) and finely the AMC 232/252? engine.
In the medium line they had the FAx, BLD, BD series that started out at around 207 CID for the earlyest wet liner verison and ended with the 308 parent bore block. 269 and smaller were lined, both wet and dry liners were used at different points.
In the heavy duty 6 cyl they had the FBx,RED, RD series that started somewhere around 289 CID and ended with the 501. All smaller then 501 were lined engines.
The engine vary in size, weight and rpm range and are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE outside of the family (duty range) they were made for.
Obviously the GRD is not interchangeable with the OHV SD (although you can fit one in the bay, it is not a direct cross) and the same holds for the AMC engines in place of a BG.
The medium and heavy sixes are truck engines and not high reving light duty engines, they are disinged for low speed pulling and a longer and heavyer then then lightline engines.
It is not a simple matter of fitting a 501 in the engine bay of a pick-up and haveing a speed demond.
As far as I know, the RD series was the only 6 to use sodium cooled valves on some models.
Should also mention that a Conti big six and Hall- Scott's were also fitted to the largest trucks in some cases.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Thank you guys for the info!!! Also thank you for moving the post. So if I am reading this right, the last 6 cylinder that IH made was a BG 264/265? Also, would the earlier engines be good for a daily driver? I know they did back when they are new, but Im talking updated axles and so on and so forth.

Thanks,
Chris

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:36 pm

The last IHC designed 6 cyl gasoline was the RD series 406-501 CID in the heavy line. In the lightline (pick-ups) the last 6 used was the AMC six cyl. but most had the SV-8 cyl.
The last six cyl IHC made lightline engines were the BG 241-265 engines.
Any of the small IHC sixes would be good engines, but if you are looking for high power in stock trim, forget it.
Kevin, has a turbo on his and is very happy with the preformance, I think it is a SD engine. Bolt on and good power. You would need a rear end swap to make use of the power avaiable, as the stock ratio would be way too low.
With a bolt on turbo kit you can leave the engine stock, drive it while makeing the other upgrades (rear end, brakes etc.) and when ready buy the turbo kit and off you go with a chassie that has been upgraded to handle the power before you add the power.
These old six cyl responed well to a turbo, the compression ratio is already low enough to handle mild boost without dished pistons and other things other brands require.
Talk to Kevin about his truck, he can tell you 1st hand about the things he tried and what he was happy with.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Thank you again for the information. Im not really looking for a powerhouse engine. Realiablility is the main factor. Like for example, I find an S series pickup with a blown engine. My thinking is, find a BG 241-265 since its a "newer" engine, put it in and then upgrade the axles, brakes etc. I understand that the transmission may need to be changed along with the transfer case. Just thinking out loud about upgrading but trying to stay all IH. I have a lot more researching and learning to do before I make the big leap.

Again thank you for all of the info, this place is great!!!

Chris

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:29 pm

The later light six blocks did away with the throttle shaft running thru the block, so if you replace an earlyer engine you may have to fab up some of the throttle linkage.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Chris, I found an old post out west, never know he may still have the motor, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=577
I dont know much about tilt valves though. I do about straight valve motors.
Mr CB89, I have a BD-240, 1956 block, info I think the oiling system is different on the SD, correct me if I am in correct,
Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Here is a new post
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3033

Return to L, R and S