HEATER BLOWER MOTOR

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 pm

HEATER BLOWER MOTOR

I am in the process of rebuilding my heater box. Since I have owned the truck the heater has never worked. Why, I dont know. I have never messed with it since the wires were bare. I pulled it out of the truck and I hooked the motor up to a battery charger and it spun to my surprise. So I pulled it apart and will be repainting it and I am in the process of re-wiring the motor. The heater core is good and has never leaked in the time I have had it so I'll just flush it and put it back in. The main question is the pull switch for the blower motor. The switch out of the truck('57 S-110) isn't the factory one and the one I pulled out of my parts trucks('51 L-110 & '55 R-110) seem to be stock one but the heater boxes are different then mine. One of the switches is rusted solid the other one appears to be ok but I was just going to replace it and not worry about it. The question is about the blower motor. Is it a multi speed? Can I buy a high, meduim, low switch or do I have to stick to a high and low or just an on and off? There are several out there, some NOS International ones on eBay but im not going to spend $45-$50 for one. I'll get one and put my International knob on it .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: HEATER BLOWER MOTOR

If you have a S series you have a 2 speed motor, as long as you have it out with the other switch, hook it up and try it on the bench, I assume you have 6 volt, I have been told napa and others sell a replacement for 12 volt, on Nics site its listed the 12 volt one, info only

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:48 pm

No mine is 12V. Yea I'm going to try in out but there are several on eBay. I wanted to get one bought before the auctions ended. If I put a 3 position switch on it will it work. Doesn't it use resistors to cut the voltage down for how fast it spins? I guess I could try and look up the motor and see what it says. Just thought idask if some one knew off the to of there head if they knew what they came out with back in the day. Are you saying just a high and low? I have a Borg Warner book and there are a few in there and I went on I standard website and found a few there. Most are a 6v but there are a few 12v. Some have the fuse on the out side and the coils and everything.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 pm

On MY L-series, my blower switch is where the resistor resides. Ron Francis Wire Works sells a similar switch.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=29
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 am

So here's the old wires off the motor.

The motor with the new wires.

I hooked the motor up with all the switches and it worked with all the styles of switches. The just OFF-ON, OFF-LOW-HIGH, OFF-LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH. So I guess I'm good with what ever I want to use but I think I'll just keep it simple and use the OFF-LOW-HIGH.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 am

So I'm pretty sure my heater core isn't the factory one or even a stock replacement. I think some one just found one that was close and modified the box to make it fit. The box is pretty chopped up and there's several holes in the box.

As you can see there is a lot of open space around it. I'm going to sand blast the box this weekend and then bring it home and weld up all the open areas and make it look good. You wont even be able to tell it was modified. I figured I would just fix the box the way it is with the heater core that's in it because it needs to be done anyways and it's what I have and it will be cheaper then finding a direct replacement and if it goes out I will still be able to put the stock style one back in it.
Its not in to bad a shape, a little rust. But like I said I'm going to sand blast it and clean it up and paint it with that hammered paint they have out so it should be pretty close to the original. Here is a before picture and when I get it done I will post an after picture.

Return to L, R and S