Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm

NOS "R" series grill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 am

Re: NOS "R" series grill

interesting to see how high this goes,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Someone needs to buy it and reproduce it at a decent price since it's NOS. There's no telling how many could be sold.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

There's no telling how many could be sold
That is the problem and the number one bit of information that one has to know before setting off on that journey. Making the stamping dies is very expensive and could top seven digits, unless that technology has changed. A friend of mine has a plastic injection molding business and the numbers that she pays for a die for a beverage crate would buy a house in this area. I had her supply green dairy cases which we adapted to hold 14 GROLSCH recycled beer bottles which we supplied to the U-BREW businesses. If I had a special set of dies made, for our purposes, I would have had to sell 250,000 cases to recover the costs and there would not have been any profit. As it turned out, the idea went really well for a few years and then it fizzled almost completely. I was the victim of "frugal" persons who were making their own beer for economy rather than good taste. $220 for a set of 112 bottles, mounted in cases with special holders for drain and storage was too much to pay for too many. In the end and only because we controlled the inventory by limiting it and the over-head was a home based business, I made good money and my daughter took over and sold the assets and bought a new car.
I firmly believe that if there was a market for IHC reproduction parts, a company like LMC would have been there long ago. IHC was a small player in the light truck sales, back in the day, so the number of survivors will be lower than big three survivor numbers.
When I read the bickering of many IHC owners over having to pay anything for any Binder Bits, it tells me that this venture has the potential to turn out really badly. I am having trouble getting some persons to pay for parts that I sent them, in good faith and trust. SOOO. I do not sell anything to anyone and we have enough very good and NOS parts to fill a double garage and build four trucks including an ORRVILLE crewcab and still have spares.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

I hate to agree with anyone, but you hit the nail right on the head! as for selling ,I wouldn't consider shipping without first receiving payment. I like Postal Money Orders. I figure if the U.S.P.S. won't cash it, I'm not sending . Cool to see something like this come up for sale though, just wish I'd been born Rich instead of So Darn Good Looking ;)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 pm

When I read the bickering of many IHC owners over having to pay anything for any Binder Bits, it tells me that this venture has the potential to turn out really badly.

this is exactly right, for some reason International doesn't get the $$,

If I list a L, R, S, series rear pickup fender for $150.00 I get accused of highway robbery, but my buddy who deals in 30s-40s Chevy GMC
get $600-$1200.00 per fender for rear fenders all day long, no one whines or complains,

a 1937-38 GMC front bumper is worth $700.00 & up, any day of the week. try to get that for a D series bumper,

no one will repop any International sheet metal until there is money in it.

and from what I see that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 am

Why could'nt the grill be repoped in fiberglass? Much cheaper than making A die set for steel.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 am

goose wrote:Why could'nt the grill be repoped in fiberglass? Much cheaper than making A die set for steel.

The grille is a structural piece I think, and I'm not sure it would hold up well. It certainly could be made out of fiberglass though.

I have a '41 Chevy that is in very poor shape I'd like to fix up. It was my grandpa's truck. Even though it's a little older (the '47 and newer trucks have a lot more available), I can still pretty much build the truck out of a catalog. All of the sheet metal is available, and most of the drive train, suspension, etc. He had the title a couple of summers ago, but since misplaced it. If he had found it, I probably would have started that one instead.

It seems like a lot more IHCs are floating around now, but that might just be because I am actively working on one and am paying more attention. The supply of the more popular brands are probably drying up as well, and people are moving on to less-popular vehicles. There are a lot more off-brand hot rods I think than there used to be. There have been a lot of IHC stuff on eBay and so forth. I can find a lot of old Chevies on Craig's List though locally, and very little to no Internationals.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I think that the person who suggested the fiberglass replacement grill should do the research, have the molds built and start reproducing the Plastic Fantastic Fronts for the Binders. After all of the information is gathered, it will be interesting to hear back.
A good body man can reproduce the rusted places. Check out PROFESSOR HAMMER on You Tube. He offers classes in metal persuasion. It is a learned trade and if a person has some interest and a little skill magihc (Pronounced magic) will happen. It takes surprisingly few tools to build something that will work. More and better tools make the job fast, easier but not necessarily better.
If I ever get caught up on the projects that are in line for my attention, I am going to build replacement panels for the grills and cab corners. I am 68 now and I figure I will be 106.8 or long dead by the time that happens.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 pm

That R grill has just hit $400 and just under 2 days left. OMG
Next

Return to L, R and S