Newbie with some questions

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am

Newbie with some questions

Hi all,

First off want to say what a great site this is. Lots of good info for a rookie like myself to try and do it right the first time. This is my first project so i'm gonna have lots of questions along the way. For my first project I have a L110 with a pretty bad cab. No problem I have a parts L130 which the cab is decent but both grilles are shot. My grandpa also had a S160 which is a running 2 ton and the cab is in good condition. My plan was to make a L110 out of the 2 trucks and maybe someday fix up the S160 a bit but since he past away it got me wondering if the S160 cab would fit on the L110 frame. I do like the S160 cab better, and it would make for a easier project to get finished for my first time (less body work and a working engine on the S160) plus would mean more to me having a daily driving 1/2 ton truck out of my grandpa's old truck. My question is will this work? Will it look right? anyone have experience doing something like this? Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 am

Re: Newbie with some questions

For those that are visual like myself, some pictures of each would help. What engine does the S160 have? Look the frame for both over. The L frame is straight/level is the S160 the same? I also think that you will find that the frame might be wider on the S160. If both frames are straight and the engine is an inline 6 on the S160, Then I think with some work you could probably do what you want. Oh, What steering box does the S160 have, is it the same as the L and in the same place? All things to consider. Most anything can be done, it is never just bolt on when you go from one generational vehicle to another. Mostly takes lots of planning, money, Time.
As has been said by others, make a plan, outline it, study before you deconstruct. Oh, and if the motor in the L is a running motor and the steering is good, then you only have to work out the Sheet metal issues.
those are my thoughts, others will differ.

Welcome to the group! Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 am

I could be talking out of my keaster, but here it goes-

My R122 is actually an S series cab with an R doghouse. It fits on an R frame which I believe is the same as an L frame. I suspect with a bit of mix n match or a few handmade pieces you should be able to bolt the main portion of cab on an L frame. I'm thinking you'll need to change the doghouse though as I think the 160 fenders and grille are taller.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 am

yeah i was really wondering about the front fenders. they'll be bigger for sure but wondered how much bigger? don't want it to look like the dogs breakfast on there! I'll have to get some pictures once i get the 110 in the shop. the 160 is still stuck in a snow bank!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 am

Welcome to the group and pictures would be appreciated! You may be discouraged about a cab that may be perfectly restorable, it would help the members who have experience repairing these trucks give advise by letting them see what you are starting with. Before you start planning to mix up to three trucks together for one, let them have a chance to advise you to up to three restorations. Nice that you are starting with three classic beasts and I wish I could be of more help, my only talent was finding a good starter and picking good restorers. I don't know if you plan to do the restorations yourself or farm it out, but either way, take a good look at what you have, listen to advise you get, and plan out your actions. Either way you do it, you'll save time and :t3901; planning. Good luck! - Bob
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 pm

I believe the mounts for the 150 and larger trucks have different mounting points than the 130 and smaller trucks...at least I read that on this site [or one of the predecessor OldIHC sites] sometime in the past. I don't know this to be "gospel," because I haven't tried the cab swap myself.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:I believe the mounts for the 150 and larger trucks have different mounting points than the 130 and smaller trucks...at least I read that on this site [or one of the predecessor OldIHC sites] sometime in the past. I don't know this to be "gospel," because I haven't tried the cab swap myself.

For the Cab that was on my L150, there was a piece that went across the back of the cab and the cab bolted to it, it in turn was bolted in a central spot on a cross member of the frame. That cab set down on the L-112 frame just fine, it would require punching some new holes(already pre-stamped) to mount on the back. It is possible, I am sure. I agree that once you post up pictures, we can all give you better advice.
Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:01 pm

here's what i've got, will work on getting some better ones soon. L is coming in the shop tonight
Attachments
5.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 pm

I believe the 160 cabs have a different firewall and front floor, fenders have a small flare & larger for tires, bigger radiator, and mounts like Mr. Buzz referred to, EDIT
I recall like Buzz, another member had to use a spot weld dill bit and use his original fire wall and of course spot weld the small truck fire wall in the big truck cab. My 2cents. Info Only
kevin
Last edited by kevin on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm sure the cab mount configuration is different,the 160 be it an L,R or S is a medium duty truck and the frame is mucho different.
Likely quite a number of other things are different too,firewall,steering column & mounting,fenders you know about and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Here's a link for a site with a lot of info on L's including IH parts & service manuals.
http://nwaringa.wordpress.com/manuals/

This site is R series oriented but the parts manual can be very useful since there was little difference from the S series.
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/facts_manuals.html
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.
Next

Return to L, R and S