hinge pins

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 pm

hinge pins

are the hinge pins on a 51 panel truck back doors the same as front doors?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 am

Re: hinge pins

Here's a link for the MT-63 parts manual. See Group 16 for what you're looking for.
http://nwaringa.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/mt-63-manual/
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:02 am

Panel body front door hinge pins are in Group 1610E1; panel body rear door hinge pins are in group 1610E2.

Not only are the panel body's front door hinge pins different from the rear door hinge pins...but the left rear door lower hinge pin is different from the other 3 on the rear doors.

Then again, if you subscribe to the theory that IH put whatever they wanted on whatever trucks came down the assembly line...then maybe they ARE all the same, and the parts books lie. Believe what you want to.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 am

I think that comment about IH switching out parts is just a rationalization based on observations of the trucks over time. IH trucks were built for farm workers, people who in the time were apt to fix things themselves due to the lack of nearby auto service help and funds. And you must remember that dealers would add or change things damaged or desired prior to delivery. The survivors likely had adapted parts and additions which were assumed to have been factory by observers. Not just a short exposure to assembly work in the past, but common sense would indicate that line assembly doesn't lend itself to changes in components. Still there are always those who "know" things I don't. Unfortunately, I have that type of personality that doesn't just accept comments because they are stated loudly or often, probably why I audited processes most of my career. My grandpa had welding equipment and an entire shop back in the forties, and he was not exceptional for that in the area - I would put more faith in the manuals by the manufacturer than justifications by observers. - Just an opinion, but I have a lot of respect for the International Harvester organization - Bob :t1812:
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:Panel body front door hinge pins are in Group 1610E1; panel body rear door hinge pins are in group 1610E2.

Not only are the panel body's front door hinge pins different from the rear door hinge pins...but the left rear door lower hinge pin is different from the other 3 on the rear doors.

Then again, if you subscribe to the theory that IH put whatever they wanted on whatever trucks came down the assembly line...then maybe they ARE all the same, and the parts books lie. Believe what you want to.

the early panel body only had a tail light support arm on the left hinge, so that pin would be longer,

later trucks had the tail light support pin on both hinges,
Attachments
IMG_0319.jpg
my old 53 L-112 has bracket on both sides, early models only driver side
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 am

thanks for all the help,the front doors are in very nice shape including the hinges and pins. the rear needs a couple pins.now if I can just get in the mood to get back to work on it.for the last 6 months I have been trying to figure out if I should leave it original or build a rod .I have a 69 dodge 440 six pack ,4 sp and a 354 dana 60 just waiting to find a new home. :whistling2:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 am

I'll repeat what I've heard here before, and I think is good advice. If the motor is not badly stuck and the truck can be brought to driving condition without a huge investment, make it drivable. Then see if it meets your needs and expectations and make a decision at that time.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 am

My two cents - its only original once, but that will limit the uses you can make of it. Shame to waste a complete vehicle and if the only thing you want is the appearance of a vintage vehicle, there are shells or bodies out there that don't have restorable bases. I don't blame people for the changes they feel should be made, but I still have a modern vehicle and part of the thrill I get from my pickup is remembering how the old stuff drove, its completely different from the new stuff. That said, I have made compromises mostly for safety and changes in available fuel. Dean gave some good advise, get it running in the shape it is and then decide. You can always trade it off to a collector if its not what you want. Keep the stuff you do switch out, unless it is unrepairable, it has value to someone else.
Lots of letters for two cents, I try to give value - Bob :t3901;
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Interesting? I was at a show and shine and there was an R swb there with a 440-6/727 set-up. Those big rear fenders will hold lots of rubber. I really like it when a vehicle speaks a different language than what I expected it to. On the other end of the scale, one of the local boys has a Mercedes 300td automatic in his R. On a longer trip the Merc Power may be just as fast as the 440 because the Diesel can make the trip on less than one tank of fuel while the 440 may not. ;-}> Really interesting and quite fast. The owner had a terrific grin. I know from my own experience that a modified Binder will get lots of attention.
A friend and I went for lunch at a Ocean View Pub and when we drove the R120 into the parking lot, I saw the Pub owner showing off his new Ferrari. Rather than disrupt his show, I decided to park at the far end of the parking lot and walk in. In seconds the persons who were admitting the Ferrari had walked across the parking lot to see my diesel 4X4 Binder. I apologised to the Pub owner and he said, "It is what it is". It is kind of sad, in a way, that a $26K old pickup can trump $500K super car. I drove Porsches for decades and I have to say this, A nicely done Binder is every bit as much fun, but in a slightly different way.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 pm

dean 466 said: make it drivable.
I agree with Dean. Those old Binder engines are quite reliable and Kevin has found an economical way to drag some power out of his engine. Over-speed is the enemy of many old engines, so keep the revs down the engine will last. Once you get under-way, you might give some thought to a modern 5 speed transmission, with overdrive, upgrade. Adapting is so easy, so don't let it scare you. TREMEC five speeds are plentiful because they were offered in FORD, GM AND RAM. There should be about a million of them in the recycler yards across the country. An easy way to find just about anything automotive is to get onto one of the auto wrecker networks and do your search.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Next

Return to L, R and S