What is the law and practice with seat belts

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm

What is the law and practice with seat belts

What is the law and practice with seat belts when restoring old cars and trucks. Are they Grandfathered into the era
of not requiring them. Maybe that varies from state to state. Motorcycle helmet law varies from state to state.
For those that do install seat-belts...do you add just a lap belt...or do you add the shoulder mount too? More for those that
have the original set-up with the limited speeds.

I assume anyone hauling a child in any vehicle has to have a lap-belt in the vehicle period.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Re: What is the law and practice with seat belts

I will let others debate the merit of having or not for a period vehicle. If you do put in seat belt, just make sure that the anchor points are strong enough to hold the strain of an accident. A bolt through the floor and nut on the other side is NOT sufficient. At the very least put a washer that spreads out the "force" over an area at least 3 times the size of the nut.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:36 pm

I had always understood that if licensed as an antique vehicle in Illinois at least (and thus limited to driving only to and from either a show or service, not daily driver), then the vehicle could be left as period. Thus if it dated prior to seat belts, they were not required. But when I restored mine, and I did leave it slow speed - antique plated, I added lap belts only. Even though the roads are better than they were in the early 50's, you do run into rough patches and the leaf springs can make for a bouncy ride - I was sliding around on that vinyl seat quite a bit when I first got it. Somehow after decades of belting myself into cars, I am attuned to it now, the addition was not much of an additional cost, and I figured why give the cop another reason to hassle me if they wanted to dispute why I had it out on the road. What I did do, was try to use as basic looking lap belt as I could (cheapest) with the flap type release, so they look as close to period as possible. You sound like you plan to go with the slow rate route, but if I was going to modernize and expect to drive with the modern cars, I would have lap/shoulder units installed. The dash, wheel and windows are not modern, no airbag, and life is still fun at this point. - Bob :smash:

Legal disclaimer, this is opinion only, I am neither a safety expert or an attorney - but it is something you need to consider with old trucks
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Since the rulez vary so much from state to state it would be best to check with the MV gods in your state.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:18 pm

I plan on putting in lap and shoulder belts on my truck. There are several places that have good kits for retrofitting them. Here's one:
http://www.julianos.com/how2_3point_ant ... truck.html

IMHO about $150 in parts vs a potential lifetime of drooling in a wheelchair and watching "the Price is Right" 24/7 after a TBI- I'll keep my gourd away from the windshield, thanks! :t0174:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Just make sure your anchor points are stong enough and in a place that they will not do more harm then good. The upper mount needs to be placed carefully or it can damage your neck.
When I had to DOT buses, this was a sticking point. IIRC there was some guidelines as to how high and where the upper anchor had to be placed.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:03 pm

IL is 64 and older no seat belts needed.antique plates can go on cars and trucks if they are 25 years and older.i guess slow plates must be a international thing.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm

So in four years I can take mine back out. Scottso gave the best advise, see what PA says. Slow basically stems more from keeping the original components - others just want the look and modernize the running gear - do the truck how you want it, but consider how you intend to enjoy it. Bob :mrgreen:
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I licensed my 53 R 100 with regular tags in PA and so need to pass the annual PA state safety inspection. The first time I had it inspected the mechanic required safety belts (lap) I bought them at Advanced auto parts they came with all the hardware needed for installation...including a large flat washer that was to be installed under the floor.
MW

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 am

It has always been my impression that requirements must be met for year of manufacture only. If a vehicle was made without seat belts it is not required to install them. The same goes for turn signals, 3rd tail lights, emissions equipment, bumper heights, safety glass, etc, etc....

Every law that I have seen pertaining to seat belts states that they cannot ever be removed. Once seat belts are installed in a particular vehicle, whether by the factory or aftermarket they cannot be removed again legally.

When installing seat belts DO NOT attach to the frame rails or cross members. You want to use a large thick washer or a welded mount to the bottom of the floor. If you get in a crash and your cab shifts or the frame bends at all you do not want to be the one holding things in place with your lap.

Tad
Next

Return to L, R and S