Grill Swap

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Grill Swap

OK so it's no secret that finding an L-series grill in any condition, let alone rust-free is like winning a gold medal in the Olympics. With tossing around ideas on which direction to take my recent acquisition of an L-110 which has a grill that would need countless hours of metal work to make presentable, I look to you guys for guidance or maybe even a reality check. First off, my overall plan was never for a stock restoration. My son and I want to leave it with the current patina/rust look it has, but repair any rot it has on the body. Once we make it a solid driver and it enjoy it for awhile we will eventually make some drivetrain upgrades. With that being said, plus the elusiveness of L-series grill, has anyone one swapped a 55' R-series grill onto an L-series truck without changing hoods?
Am I crazy for even asking this??
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Grill Swap

goyanks1 wrote:OK so it's no secret that finding an L-series grill in any condition, let alone rust-free is like winning a gold medal in the Olympics. With tossing around ideas on which direction to take my recent acquisition of an L-110 which has a grill that would need countless hours of metal work to make presentable, I look to you guys for guidance or maybe even a reality check. First off, my overall plan was never for a stock restoration. My son and I want to leave it with the current patina/rust look it has, but repair any rot it has on the body. Once we make it a solid driver and it enjoy it for awhile we will eventually make some drivetrain upgrades. With that being said, plus the elusiveness of L-series grill, has anyone one swapped a 55' R-series grill onto an L-series truck without changing hoods?
Am I crazy for even asking this??

I like the look of the L line grille, but i think the 53 to 55 will work someone correct me if im wrong
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the early 50's L-series grill too, but finding one could take a long time. Or possibly a lot of money spent piecing together one good one from a couple of donor grills. If I can get an R-series grill at a reasonable price to get me on the road for now while always keeping an eye open for an L-series grill is it a possibility??
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm

the R series grill will bolt up to an L, for the most part. May be a few differences on internal supports, but basically the same,

however the L hood will look odd on it, it should close OK. but top of L grill flares up into hood area, R grill is smooth rolled along top,

there would be a big gap under L hood at minimum.

and possibly some other issues, but looks do-able
Attachments
lexus 010.jpg
R grill smooth roll along top edge
IMG_0316.jpg
L grill sweeps up into hood area,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:14 pm

I would be extremely surprised if you didn't have to replace the hood at the same time. I don't think it will close. Look at the L grille--it goes up in the middle where the S's "vent" is, where the S grille is pretty straight across.

That being said, I haven't looked at an S in person, but I've seen this discussed elsewhere. I think nwaringa was looking at doing the mod at one point, and he had a hood to go with it.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:14 pm

I've kind of wanted to keep this one secret just incase I ever decided to get an L but there is a local junk yard that has a grill in near perfect shape. Its on an L-160 and the place is called Strump's outside Spalding, NE. I don't have a number but if you are still interested in putting the L grill on it, it a very good one.
Attachments
IMG_1195.jpg
53' R-112, 220 SD, 4-Speed, Long Box
54' R-100, 220 SD, 3-Speed, Short Box
56' S-102, 220 SD, 3-Speed, Short Box
56' S-112, 220 SD, 4-Speed, Short Box
Truck photo link, feel free to check them out - http://flic.kr/ps/2zYUpj

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:27 pm

That's a nice grill! And you're a good man for sharing it. :D

Kinda makes ya proud to be a Binder pilot!
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:44 pm

coakes00 wrote:I've kind of wanted to keep this one secret just incase I ever decided to get an L but there is a local junk yard that has a grill in near perfect shape. Its on an L-160 and the place is called Strump's outside Spalding, NE. I don't have a number but if you are still interested in putting the L grill on it, it a very good one.

I would rather keep the look I have, thanks for the info coakes00, I appreciate it!
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm

If you like the look of the "L" you should keep it and maybe have a look around for a replacement. While the "L" grill is not easy to find, they are out there. I have a NOS "L" in the basement and two others, one in fair condition and the last one, probably not as good as yours.
It may be the best option to have a body man repair your grill, or you may do it yourself, if you are willing to give it a try. There is lots of good information on YouTube etc.
The "L grill will only fit with the "L" hood. The "L" hood needs different fender apron hinges to operate properly. The "R" has only one centre hinge per side and the "L" has two per side.
I much prefer the double cantilever "L" hinge setup, so I have taken the cross bows out of the "R" and the "L" hoods and transferred the "L" bows into the "R". I have to use the "L" hinge mounts that are on the "L" inner fender aprons. While some may say that this is a waste of good hoods, it was not. I bought a small warehouse of IHC R&L parts and there were lots of hoods in various conditions from NOS to rusty junk.
At this time, I do not have anything for sale, but my friend Mike Greenlaw may have something for sale. He generally has some good stuff and he lives in the drier interior of BC. his email is magihc1@telus.net. Try calling him at 250-280-1474. Mike ships to the US, I do not. Because I am hot a business and not willing to pay for the expensive permits, I have chosen to not ship south, no exceptions.
Check with buzzman72, he was trying to sell his Binders and he may have something for sale or have a suggestion.
A good hood is worth more than $400 and I would not consider anything less than $1,000 for NOS. That would be nearer $2,000 if the inner fender aprons were included. OK, here is the reality check. Reproduction fenders for a 1940 Ford are available any day of the week and they are $1500 for a set. The inner fender aprons are about $500 for the set. There are no IHC parts in reproduction, so what you find may be the last of it.
Check Desert Valley Auto in AZ, 1-800-905-8024.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks for the useful info nikkinutshop. I have tried DVAP, I will try your friend Mike, but again very useful info, greatly appreciated.
1952 L-112 Long Bed
Next

Return to L, R and S