Bench Seat for a 1952 L-Seris

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Bench Seat for a 1952 L-Seris

Hello Friends.
Im looing for a modern bench seat for a 1952 L-112 cab. Does anyone know what fits best? or any ideas?
Ive looked at the bench seats for 1994 Dodge Dakota but they seam a little big.
Juan Acevedo
NineJuan1 (911)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: Bench Seat for a 1952 L-Seris

Have you tried measuring up some of the minivan rear seats?? I don't know where you are, but if you are close, I can give you a new folding minivan seat complete with seatbelts. It is light blue.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:57 pm

nikkinutshop - thank you so much, But I had to update my location on OldIHC. Im actually in IL,USA. :) I appriciate you giving me the seats. Im going to maybe look into Craigslist.com and see if I can find some for under $100.00 locally. I guess since my truck is in the shop and not near me Im going to need the width of the cab to see what will fit. Thats unless someone recommends an acutal size of seat. Again Thank YOU!! :) Merry Christmas to all IH friends
Juan Acevedo
NineJuan1 (911)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:44 am

I will measure an original seat in the morning and post the number.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:05 am

It has been a couple of months since I was dealing with theses measurements, but as I recall you'll need something not exceeding 54". Once I complete a task, I tend to forget the previous data or at least it gets stale in the memory banks, but to the best of my recollection that's the maximum you could use.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 pm

You might need to consider the angle of incline of the seat back too. I find most of the old trucks had the seat back nearer to vertical than the newer ones. That means the newer seats take up more space front to back . That's what I have with the "captains chairs" seats out of a van that are in my R160. High back bucket seats are rubbing on the back window all the time. Nice and comfortable angle for my back though.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:26 am

I forgot to measure again, but 54 inches sounds correct. The angle of the seat back something to keep in mind, as mentioned in the last post. A seat back that is too thick may not leave very much room to steering wheel. this is something that I must take into consideration. I've tried to sleep across the seat and it took some time to untangle myself and walk again. I was quite uncomfortable and felt very much like our old and long gone neighbour who had been cursed with rickets. It was painful to watch him struggle to the mailbox and back. He moved me to feel Shakespearian, for a moment. I thought, " What manner of man is this who carries his testicles in parentheses?"
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:21 am

I put an'84 Ford ranger seat in mine and it fit quite well, though it's slightly narrower. I had to fab a couple mounts, but not too big a deal.

My truck is a '56 S-120.

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:06 am

Like nikkinutshop says, the front to back dimension was a problem for me looking for seats. My original intent was to use the buckets from a Tahoe or Yukon that contained the seat belts in the seat. I know you are looking for a bench seat so I won't go into the details of how I ended up with BMW seats. The seats with long front to back dimensions will also hinder the space you have to swing you legs into and out of the cab when entering or exiting. So the longer that length is, the less space you have to use.
And even with the BMW seats, the backs are against the rear of the cab. I even deleted the headrests because they were in front of the rear windows blocking the view.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 pm

My son has opted to have an original Binder seat in his L110, so, I am going to upholster it in black leather, probably with cloth inserts. Our ORRVILLE crewcab will get some nice and inexpensive BMW seats from the local recycler. The Beemer seats are often very high tech, leather, super comfortable and very inexpensive. I bought a set of 5 series seats for $100 and they were powered. I have a set of 7 series seats in another vehicle, they fit and almost look OEM, well maybe, they just look good.
Next

Return to L, R and S