Cab Restoration

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Cab Restoration

My Son and I took the cab to his r 100 to a strip shop(Paint stripping that is) The shop is in Muscatine Ia.We had removed everything fro the cab, they put in an oven and cooked it for 3 hrs. at 800 deg. F. Then off to the acid bath, then came neutralizing the acid with a high pressure solution and then a water based rust inhibitor. Its amazing how clean it got, all paint and rust removed nothing warped or etched as with sandblasting. Also we just dropped it off there yesterday at 3pm and picked it up at 2:30pm today. The cab had No rust in the cab corners and only surface rust on the floor pan, I can't believe how well this worked. Just thought I'd share. I'll see if I can find the name of the company and post here. Thanks Sandusky

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Cab Restoration

sandusky wrote:My Son and I took the cab to his r 100 to a strip shop(Paint stripping that is) The shop is in Muscatine Ia.We had removed everything fro the cab, they put in an oven and cooked it for 3 hrs. at 800 deg. F. Then off to the acid bath, then came neutralizing the acid with a high pressure solution and then a water based rust inhibitor. Its amazing how clean it got, all paint and rust removed nothing warped or etched as with sandblasting. Also we just dropped it off there yesterday at 3pm and picked it up at 2:30pm today. The cab had No rust in the cab corners and only surface rust on the floor pan, I can't believe how well this worked. Just thought I'd share. I'll see if I can find the name of the company and post here. Thanks Sandusky

Was it expensive?
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah! $500! but considering the condition of the cab it probably worked out to about the same to have a body man sand it for days with a DA. and this got everything and it's as smooth as a Babys butt. It did burn out the old caulk and even melted the lead solder in the seams. The cab has never been repainted and was my Sons Great Great Grandfathers he bought it new in "55". The kid is still looking for a V.G. grille and bumpers(I have no idea what they hit but it destroyed the grille and the front bumper and did'nt do the front fenders any favors either)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 pm

sandusky wrote:Yeah! $500! but considering the condition of the cab it probably worked out to about the same to have a body man sand it for days with a DA. and this got everything and it's as smooth as a Babys butt. It did burn out the old caulk and even melted the lead solder in the seams. The cab has never been repainted and was my Sons Great Great Grandfathers he bought it new in "55". The kid is still looking for a V.G. grille and bumpers(I have no idea what they hit but it destroyed the grille and the front bumper and did'nt do the front fenders any favors either)

Wow Id die of a heart attack if that happened to my 112

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Do you have any pictures? Does it get dipped in the rust inhibitor so that internal cavities are coated as well. Does the rust coating have to be top coated or will it hold up on it's own(More important for internal cavities than outer that will be painted anyway)

Tad

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Tad, my Son took pics. it stripped all surfaces internal and external which means we'll be looking at a system that Eastwood has to coat the inner panels when we tore the cab apart there were places that had never been painted.The rust inhibitor is a water based short term fix to keep the metal from flash rusting,we took the cab on a open trailer and borrowed a enclosed trailer to keep the salt spray from the roads off. The guys at the shop even had us back in so the cab wouldn't get dripped on. I did find the name Muscatine Quickstrip Co. 563-262-8538 They have moved to a larger facility so the one on the Internet is the wrong address.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I did a similar metal cleaning at REDI STRIP in 1984 and it lasted very well and still looked really good hen I gave the R120 away this summer. I am always so disappointed when I hear of someone going with sand blasting even after they have been told of the problems that go with that process. Good On You Guys.
BTW. Because it is cost effective and another really good method. We will be having my son's L110 and my Orrville Crewcab IH cleaned with walnut shell blast at a place called AIR STRIP in Richmond BC. They did such a perfect job on our 1940 Ford. The Ford looked like new metal when it was done. The Ford is 74 years old and no rust.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I did a similar metal cleaning at REDI STRIP in 1984 and it lasted very well and still looked really good hen I gave the R120 away this summer. I am always so disappointed when I hear of someone going with sand blasting even after they have been told of the problems that go with that process. Good On You Guys.
BTW. Because it is cost effective and another really good method. We will be having my son's L110 and my Orrville Crewcab IH cleaned with walnut shell blast at a place called AIR STRIP in Richmond BC. They did such a perfect job on our 1940 Ford. The Ford looked like new metal when it was done. The Ford is 74 years old and no rust.

Whats walnut blast?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Ethan wrote:
nikkinutshop wrote:I did a similar metal cleaning at REDI STRIP in 1984 and it lasted very well and still looked really good hen I gave the R120 away this summer. I am always so disappointed when I hear of someone going with sand blasting even after they have been told of the problems that go with that process. Good On You Guys.

Whats walnut blast?

Probably sandblasting with walnut shells instead of sand, glass bead, plastic bead, etc. It's safer, because traditional sand blasting, unless done extremely carefully by a skilled individual, will destroy sheet metal on cars.

There have been some people complaining about acid dip coming back out of the crevices for some time after the dip, and it's ruined paint jobs. But, if it was neutralized well or it's quite some time before you paint, it is good to go. Some people wait for upwards of a year to get them actually painted to make sure the sand gets out.

$500 is definitely a bargain over doing it manually! :D

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Heck yeah $500 is a good deal!
I did hear one horror story of a fella having his '74 D200 done. They dipped, but apparently didn't neutralize of paint the inside of the bed rails and within two years his perfectly restored truck was rusting out all along both rails. Destroyed his perfect bed. Crying shame. :t0174:
--Bennett
http://www.mrhankscout.blogspot.com
'78 Scout II Mr. Hanky
'74 D200 4x4 Heavy D
'53 R-112 Phantom
'56 Porsche Speedster replica
Next

Return to L, R and S