Air conditioning in a R-110

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Air conditioning in a R-110

Has anyone put Vintage Air air conditioning in their R series pickup? Which model fit? How hard was it to put in? Pictures?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 am

Re: Air conditioning in a R-110

I installed the VA mini space saver in our R120. Easy fit and tucks up and almost out of view. It worked well .
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:37 am

My L-110 isn't much different than the R-110. The shop that's working on my truck has installed a Vintage Air heat and A/C unit in it. I don't, right now, know the model name or number but it is almost visible in the photo. It is thin, wide and fits under the dash with built in controls. A visit to their website will likely lead you to the model. We felt it was the least obtrusive unit they offer for this application. The original heater came out and we used the combination unit so that there would be less equipment under the dash interfering with each other. The space obviously is limited and there is less hanging down in sight. The glove box liner had to be shortened to allow for the hoses to pass through the firewall, but that decision was made when the liner was out of the dash and we found out it needed to be shortened later on after the bulkhead fitting had already been installed. If you go with a similar unit, benefit from our oversight and place the bulkhead fitting further down on the firewall or elsewhere if you'd like the glove box to stay like it is. If you'd like, I can get additional pictures the next time I'm at the shop.
Attachments
IMG_1431.JPG
interior shot
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 am

The photo shows the bulkhead fitting and the A/C hoses running to the compressor and the heater hoses running to the front.
Attachments
IMG_1455a.JPG
engine bay with A/C hoses

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:11 pm

That is a very good looking engine compartment and I recognise the Vintage Air bulkhead unit. Just to be different, I set ours in a Diamond position, but in the same location. While I would not use a SBC, I do not have any good reason for that choice. It is the best choice in every way and it gets you down the road for a reasonable amount of cash and a ton of reliability. It fits and looks great.
I am one of those guys who choses the engine with the maximum amount of hurt and difficulty in the installation. I think that I need the challenge. Maybe that is why I married the person I did, she is a daily challenge, in a good way LOL. (PS: how can you tell that she was looking over my shoulder when I typed that??) I may edit later.
If I remember the original reason for being in the swamp, before the alligators arrived, It was the pleasant shape of the Old IHC that drew me in. I am so shallow and I like the 7 inch headlights, a lot. :t1809:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:02 pm

WEW, The engine and interior look great on your truck, I would have air if I lived in Florida.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Nice to have AIR! Here in the Pacific Northwest, for Bedrockjon and Pacific Southwest for me, there is that little thingee called our international border that changes everything, John gets gas, or so he says and I just rust. It rains here! Well, I hope it is rust, I know it is not a tan. We need some sunshine for that, then AC.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks for the compliments. It's been a long road to this point. I received this truck from my Granddad in 1974, the last pick-up he owned. He didn't buy it new, had only had it a few years before I got it. I drove it until Sept. 1979 when we moved from Tenn. to Fl. Since then it's been stored inside and I've put an hour here and an hour there on it until last May when it went the shop for professional help. We are currently waiting for the chrome to come back from the re-chrome shop and it will be "finished" (if they are ever finished). As you can see the original air conditioner is still active - the cowl vent - but it is almost mandatory in Fl. to have A/C. I don't know how people survived before A/C, but I suppose if you don't know any different, it then doesn't matter. We have become spoiled with A/C and the state of Florida has grown in population proportionately to the availability of A/C.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Too many Canadians in Florida for me. I might as well stay in British Columbia where the population is diluted by interesting persons from other countries. There are so many interesting restaurants here and they represent so many different countries. My new favorite is Vietnamese . I was on the 'phone with one of the American forum members and he thought it odd that I would have trouble finding a Mexican Restaurant and we are only an hour or so away from where he lives.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 pm

So what model did you get from Vintage Air? Is it still working good? I have a '56 S-120
Next

Return to L, R and S