Steering Gear Gasket and misc Gaskets

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Steering Gear Gasket and misc Gaskets

Does anyone have a source for the steering gear gasket on the L110-112 trucks?
I plan to remove the cover to check the gears and clean any sludge that may have built up in there.
The IH part number is 100 053 H

I bought an engine gasket kit and the steering gear gasket and transmission gasket were not included which makes sense.
Is there a raw gasket material you guys used from McMaster Carr or some other source to make up gaskets for when you cannot find a supplier? One for oils and one for gas fluids.

Do any of you guys use the copper spray on the head gaskets. I heard of some tractor guys using it on over hauls. Any thoughts on that.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: Steering Gear Gasket and misc Gaskets

L112 From PA wrote:Does anyone have a source for the steering gear gasket on the L110-112 trucks?
I plan to remove the cover to check the gears and clean any sludge that may have built up in there.
The IH part number is 100 053 H

I bought an engine gasket kit and the steering gear gasket and transmission gasket were not included which makes sense.
Is there a raw gasket material you guys used from McMaster Carr or some other source to make up gaskets for when you cannot find a supplier? One for oils and one for gas fluids.

Do any of you guys use the copper spray on the head gaskets. I heard of some tractor guys using it on over hauls. Any thoughts on that.

I didnt use any spray when I changed my head gasket and it works perfectly, did your set come with a oil pan gasket? mine didnt and now its leaking so I need to change it.
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Ethan,

My gasket kit did include an oil pan gasket. Got my set from Rock Auto. Engine is still at the engine shop to be cleaned, new freeze plugs installed and the bearings and sleeves inspected. Working on other truck parts right now.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 pm

L112 From PA wrote:Ethan,

My gasket kit did include an oil pan gasket. Got my set from Rock Auto. Engine is still at the engine shop to be cleaned, new freeze plugs installed and the bearings and sleeves inspected. Working on other truck parts right now.

Hm, I got mine from O'reilly's, can the shop do thing's like that without pulling the motor?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:16 pm

The block and head get put in a hot steam machine for cleaning...and the cylinders honed if needed and new rings added to pistons. Lifters and valves are inspected and addressed as needed Pretty hard to do that while still in the truck. I had a rear seal leak on the Crank shaft and decided to have the engine looked at and overhauled so I borrowed and engine lift and removed the engine and bell housing. Removed the clutch, bell housing, distributor, fuel pump, oil filter housing, carb, etc.
and took engine to the engine shop. Save in labor costs if you do some of it yourself. Check around for local engine shops in your area with good reputations. If your engine is running well, then you may not need too. Check your oil pump screen. Mine was partially clogged.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 pm

L112 From PA wrote:The block and head get put in a hot steam machine for cleaning...and the cylinders honed if needed and new rings added to pistons. Lifters and valves are inspected and addressed as needed Pretty hard to do that while still in the truck. I had a rear seal leak on the Crank shaft and decided to have the engine looked at and overhauled so I borrowed and engine lift and removed the engine and bell housing. Removed the clutch, bell housing, distributor, fuel pump, oil filter housing, carb, etc.
and took engine to the engine shop. Save in labor costs if you do some of it yourself. Check around for local engine shops in your area with good reputations. If your engine is running well, then you may not need too. Check your oil pump screen. Mine was partially clogged.

Wheres the oil pump screen?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:14 pm

The oil pump screen is on the pick-up for the oil pump, In the parts book it is referred to as a float assembly, IH # 69 609 R91. I don't think that it really floats, but it is held just off the bottom of the oil pan. The screen prevents the oil pump from picking up bit and pieces that might otherwise get into the pump gear and cause them to fail. The bits and pieces could be from gasket pieces falling off or even bits of casting flash. Some of the sludge deposits can get to be very hard and should be prevented from entering the pump. SCREEN TO THE RESCUE.
I think that the screen is several times bigger than the minimum requirement to allow for some clogging. Be careful when cleaning the screen to not damage it or force the crud through the screen and into the oil circuit. If you poke a hole in the screen, that is a bad thing. These screens are often very brittle from years of being buffeted by the passing oil. I like to soak the crud off with gun wash that can be bought at an automotive paint store. A tooth brush that you will not likely use again is a safe scrub tool. My biker friend says that he invented the toothbrush, He suggested that I I had invented the TB, it would have been called the teeth-brush because I have all of my teeth.
In answer to the question about putting stuff on the gaskets, check with the gasket maker's instructions. More often than not, any additional goop is not required and often discouraged.
Re steering gear gasket. Make you own replacement gasket, It is easy and on You Tube. http://youtu.be/_PY3owDijPU
This link will take you to You Tube and the rest is up to you to check around. Re sludge in the steering box. It is not very likely that there will be any sludge built up because sludge is more a waste deposit from combustion in an engine. Some of the combustion gasses pass by the piston rings and take up residence in the crankcase. The sludge is a mixture of carbon, moisture and in the old days some ethyl lead. Do yourself a big favour and wear some disposable nitrile gloves when servicing the inside parts of an old motor, because the sludge is toxic and often will contribute to cancer. They used to say that there are no old mechanics and this was the reason. The lead was a very inexpensive way to increase the octane of the fuel and it was used at the risk of the health of us all and the environment. It is often repeated by the bunk-house BS artists that the lead was there to lubricate the valves. This is not true, The lead did more to shorten the life of an engine because of the build-up that could often plug and block the passage of oiling. Ethyl lead fouled spark plugs and caused lots of carbon build-up in the combustion chamber where it contributed to a pre-ignition situation. The carbon would often become a hot spot that was heated by combustion and would ignite the air fuel mixture about the same time as the spark plug would ignite and the two flame fronts would collide and make that knocking sound. Carbon should be removed mechanically and not by doing the stupid thing of trying to blow it out under hard acceleration. The blow-it-out attempt does not work and will often glaze the carbon deposit and make the situation much worse. It may be possible to remove the carbon deposit build-up, if there is any, by going for a nice highway drive for several hours. Take it easy and do not do anything heroic. I have seen additives flushed down the carburetor while producing huge clouds of smoky exhaust. That may have been all that happened. . Just take it easy. Revving the p... out of the motor will not tune it up and fix a problem.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Nikkunutshop, Thanks for the link. very informative. I enjoy reading your replies....always some humor and a good story with each answer.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:58 am

It is an Old Guy thingee. (not that kind) I have been fortunate to have had a busy and interesting life and a job that I really liked. Most of my friends have been interesting and rode Harleys, while I continued to ride a Honda Valkyrie Interstate and that always made some interesting stories, many of them can never be told on this forum.
There was the time that my close trusted friend and I stopped at MERCEDES and asked to look at a Smart Car. The sales person asked, "One for each?" My friend said, "No, one for both!" At that time I was over 450 pounds and my friend could balance the teeter totter, until the plank broke. So the two of us crammed into the Smart Car and bottomed out the suspension while the salespersons took pictures of us. It was literally cheek to cheek and when we opened the doors they literally popped. The funny part was the two of us happened to be wearing T shirts from his Politically incorrect and insensitive T shirt business that read I BEAT ANORIXIA.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to L, R and S