Lowering R-110

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Lowering R-110

Hey Guys,

New to this site! I have a 1954 AR-110 (which im assuming is what they were badged as in Australia?)

And im after some help with lowering the front..
how do most guys go about this? is there an I beam I can use from something else that will drop it?
Or have guys had there I beams stretched to drop it??

any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Re: Lowering R-110

KB48 from this forum has used an after-market Ford pickup front axle and it is nearly a direct fit to the Binder pickups. the hot-rod market has some options for dropped spindles for the ford axle as well as dropped axles. Removing spring leaves from the IHC axle is a really bad idea and almost certainly guarantees that the other springs in the pack will break. There is not enough spring/axle to frame clearance to lower the OEM spring by chopping it up.
If you need low, there are some affordable and no weld easy to install IFS from guys like FATMAN FABRICATION or GARY HEIDT. Back in the day it was popular to use the bolt in front suspension with torsion bars from the last of the full size Dodge cars, with rear wheel drive. My friend has had the Dodge system in his early 1950's Mercury pickup for over 30 years, and there are still parts.
I cannot see any advantage to taking the front suspension out another obsolete vehicle, just because. If a person is going to upgrade something, it might be a good idea to use something that is current.
If you are in Australia, I am thinking that there must be something really nice to fit your application, built in Australia. Australia has a reputation for making top of the line and well thought out hot-rod parts.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 pm

thanks for your help mate!

Is there any way I can get more info on what KB48 used as a swap over front axle??
Would be great if I could use something like that...

;)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 pm

I think that you could PM him or email him through this forum. KB 48 has not been feeling well, so be a little patient. He is a really good source of IH information from been there and done that,
I am thinking that the Ford axle was for the F series pickup from the late 1940's and early 1950's. I will do a little research here and try to post it. With the internet being what it is, you will have the same access as I. I know that there are persons who heat and forge a new angle into the front axles, but I am not comfortable with this, there is too much that can go wrong if the temperatures are not correct etc, etc,
You guys in Australia have a super hot-rod industry going on and some very talented builders. The only problem that I see is, you guys keep putting the steering on the other side. British Columbia had right side steering about a 100 years ago and changed to match our neighbours on the other side of the 49th parallel.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:44 pm

You might also put out a shout to some of the other fellows in Australia. I think that some of them are on the pre 40's section. One is Slospeed. Please do not put L or R stuff on that thread, just contact them via PM. They may have good info on things you are looking for. As always, there is good advice on all of this forum. Welcome to the group, hope to see you often.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Here is where I got the front axle for my 1940 Ford project. I used the SUPER BELL with a four inch drop and air springs with HOLLAND-NEWAY leveling valves. You could fit a car I beam axle into a Binder and use some of the other parts offered on this site to locate the front axle. If you like air springs, I have seen a very cost effective rear suspension modification where the back half of the springs were cut off with just enough left to support the lower base for air springs. I like the look, but it is not for me, right now. I like the 4X4 look so going up is the only option. I do not go any higher than the minium required for axle clearance. Sadly, I do not have this Binder now, it has gone to be recycled into more binders. It is better this way.
http://www.est1946.com/superbell_i-beamfrontaxles.aspx

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I sent my axle to "Sid's dropped axles" in Guthrie, Oklahoma for a 4" drop on my '54' R100. I had to heat the steering arms and bend them about 1" to clear springs, but pretty straight forward way to drop the front. I realize the shipping cost is a problem from Australia, but maybe there is someone there who drops straight axles.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Can I ask what Sid's charged for that 4" axle drop?
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I was charged $350 for the dropping of the axle plus shipping both ways. I don't know Sid, but the whole process for me was very positive.

Return to L, R and S