turn signals

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

turn signals

Ok guys, set me straight. My late 55 r-122 has marker lights below the headlights and signal indicator lights in the speedo. There is no turn signal lever and only one red taillight on the rear. Were the signals an option or has someone removed the lever/switch?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: turn signals

Those gauges were used on the larger trucks and I think this explains why there are places to put turn indicators in the speedo. If you wish, it is possible to add a double filament socket into the front turn signal boxes for the turn lights. There are several companies who still make a turn signal assembly that clamps to the steering column, some wiring required. Having a second stop/turn light on the rear is not a terrible thing and the extra attention may save your truck from being rear-ended. There are a few posts on this forum about grounding your electric circuits. Check them out.
If you are still on 6 volt and positive ground it might be a good idea to have longer term plans change to something more in keeping with these modern times were negative ground and 12 volts is expected. The original wires may well have deteriorated over time and may start a fire. There is usually only one fuse/breaker and it is on the back of the light switch. A simple wiring kit from PAINLESS PERFORMANCE or one like it is a good idea and then add proper GM DELCO alternator. A good used alternator should cost about $20 because they were made in the hundreds of millions for every model of GM vehicle and IH used them also. I would not suggest using a one wire alternator. There are more than a few experienced tradespersons on this forum who might agree.
If your OEM gauges are still working you should be able to recover some money by offering them for sale on this forum. Someone "Lost in the Fifties" will need them, it is only a matter of time.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 am

I've been exploring the idea of turn signal switches that aren't clamped onto the column...and I believe the kits being made to fit '54 Chebbie pickups should be mountable on our L and R series trucks. [Not sure about how to set up the cancel cam, but I'm pretty sure there MUST be a way.]

If your park lights aren't up to snuff, or don't have double contact sockets, try to pick up a pair from an early Scout 80. I got a pair from Coonrod's in Colorado some years back, and they're in pretty good shape.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 am

Most of the bigger trucks like my 160s had the extra lights for signals bolted onto the top of the fenders. Both of mine have the clamp on signal light controls on the steering column and the S truck signals work well. It has been converted to 12 volt which makes it easier. The old R160 needs a re-wiring job before I could ever get the signal lights working.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I have to admit though that if mine didn't already have the fender mounted signals I would be reluctant to drill holes in the fender to install them.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I can't remember how the sockets are designed, but if you have problems locating marker lamps from a Scout, you can replace the light socket, or the insert in the socket with a 2 wire. Both are available at about any auto parts store.

My truck had the big lturn signals on the fenders as well. I took them off and welded the holes to give a smoother look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:I've been exploring the idea of turn signal switches that aren't clamped onto the column...and I believe the kits being made to fit '54 Chebbie pickups should be mountable on our L and R series trucks. [Not sure about how to set up the cancel cam, but I'm pretty sure there MUST be a way.]

If your park lights aren't up to snuff, or don't have double contact sockets, try to pick up a pair from an early Scout 80. I got a pair from Coonrod's in Colorado some years back, and they're in pretty good shape.

Buzz, If you can find a factory in column out of a "S" series, same 100, 110 etc. It will bolt right in to the original steering box, I did a deal with one of the members a few years back and he is up a running blinker wise. The 4 speed column, and the 3 speed with the single column. Not sure about the 3 speed column with the external shifter. Info Only

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Kevin, the trouble is, S-series columns are getting hard to find as well.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:Kevin, the trouble is, S-series columns are getting hard to find as well.

I have a complete S series column in my garage, it has the 3 speed shifter on it though,

I was going to put a 3 speed overdrive unit in my L-112 panel, and needed it to make the linkage work to newer trans than the L 3 speed, but never did do it though,.

there are some old school clamp on turn signal kits that had a self cancelling wheel that when you put signal on it push a little wheel against the bottom of the steering wheel, after you turned, the steering wheel going back to center would cancel the signal, in theory,,,,,,,I was always adjusting up & down on the column to get it to work right. never really did,,,,,

my old K-3 had interesting turn signal set up, it had an old style knife blade switch, like one you'd see Dr. Frankenstein use, you flipped it to left or right as needed, it was mounted on the dash, pretty crud but worked,
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!r!FJTINR!rRBS,9pD1vKQ~~60_12.JPG
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Pretty sure this is the 3 speed column with built in blinker switch Kevin is talking about. I got it from him a couple years ago. This is in my 56 S-102

1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

kevin wrote:
Buzz, If you can find a factory in column out of a "S" series, same 100, 110 etc. It will bolt right in to the original steering box, I did a deal with one of the members a few years back and he is up a running blinker wise. The 4 speed column, and the 3 speed with the single column. Not sure about the 3 speed column with the external shifter. Info Only

FWIW, the 3 speed external shift column will not bolt onto a 4 speed column steering box. One is a 4 bolt flange and the other is a three.
1956 S-120 4x4 (Factory)

Sometimes I think if I were a collector of gold bricks, I would have a cheaper hobby.
Next

Return to L, R and S