NEW FUEL TANKS

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 pm

NEW FUEL TANKS

I live a very long way from Tank's, Inc. 260 Welter Drive at Hot Rod Lane Monticello, IA 52310. If I were close, I would donate a gas tank for the team. These people build fuel tanks and I was told that they could build a replacement tank for IHC if they had an example follow. There must a member around that area who could make the extra effort and donate an old tank so all of the members can benefit.
It is nearly impossible to send a used and empty fuel tank from here to there.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am

Re: NEW FUEL TANKS

I like the way you think, Wish I had one I could send. Hopefully someone closer can/will.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Fed frowns on used gas tanks going in the mail, UPS Fedex too,

I allegedly sent one a few yrs. ago, flushed it a bunch of times, put a bunch of baking soda in it, wrapped it like a mummy, and hid it in a big box, got there OK. allegedly,,,, :roll:

I have a few of these tanks, if I could get one to them I would be willing.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 pm

I think that if the tank is Clean, has no residue/odor, and meets the total size/weight restrictions for mailing a Non-standard box. There should be no problem. If it has NO Odor,Tank has been professionally cleaned, is not sealed in any way(vent, sending unit hole, fill hole) There should be no restriction. You are mailing a metal Box, that is not sealed and can not build pressure. These are just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 pm

I'll check w the guy I bought my r122 from. He had a rotten tank in his shed. If he still had it perhaps I could get it there. It's about 4.5hrs from me (roughly). I wouldn't be able to get to it for a while (realistically probably next year some time) but if he still has it I'd be game for the trip. Perhaps I could even do it in my R...
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:25 pm

I know the "rough" dimensions of the L-R-S 110-130 tank are 9-1/2" x 9-1/2" x 45" long...not accounting for the "troughs" above the running board supports and where the straps go...and not accounting for the material extending from the seams.

Funny...I can remember THAT, but I sometimes have to stop a moment to remember my phone number...might be because I never call myself.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

If I consider 48" long, and 18" wide and 12" high and a weight of 22pounds 6 ounces From my zip to theirs would run standard post around $29.00 to ship. All things considered, if it is CLEAN and packaged. If weight is more than I figured then it will cost a little more.
Just my observation

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks for the numbers, B72. I wonder if TANKS could do something with them. I would be happy with a ABS plastic tank replacement or stainless. Maybe just a little longer for more capacity. Here is a little something. I fitted a 1990 Chevy Van fuel tank between the frame rails at the back. It was a fairly easy fit. the last frame cross member had to be modified to be removable. Get out your tape measure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:43 am

I'm posting this to move it up because it is important and it will be forgotten in the mix. Surly there must be someone close who can assist.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I did send 2 letters to Tanks INC. about this when Buzz brought the question up, No response. At that time they had no email.
Next

Return to L, R and S