1954 r110 long bed to short

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:10 am

1954 r110 long bed to short

Hey guys i just picked up a 54 r110 longbed, but im converting it into a short bed. Frame sectioning the whole nine yards. I wanna know what the measurement is from the front of the bed to the fender and the back to the fender. Meaning the edge of the fender bolted to the bed. Also wanna know if anyone else has accomplished this task

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: 1954 r110 long bed to short

There is some stuff on bed dimensions on "Restoring Cornelia" that might help you out (you can find it easily on Google). I suspect that the only difference for bed dimensions is in front of the rear axle. I don't think you have to chop the bed behind the axle, but I could be mistaken. I've seen some where they did, and I didn't think it looked right--but maybe they just did it wrong.

If you find this info out, post it here. I've considered doing this to my L-112 as well, as the bed's pretty shot anyway and needs pretty much rebuilt.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:47 pm

ihguy,
The information you need is at restoring cornelia- http://www.restoringcornelia.com/

Go to the home page, then click on the 'truck facts' tab. The short bed has a 12" shorter wheelbase and an 18" shorter bed, so to match the factory dimensions, you need to remove 12" in front of the fender and 6" behind.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:09 pm

not to be a buzzkill, but that is a lot of work, there are a few short-beds on craigslist,

maybe better to get a short-bed and sell the long bed?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Well i got the truck without a bed and was given one by a farmer, crazy story found it in a junk pile while out coyote hunting it was the only thing without a bullet hole, ive done the work before with a 69 f100 long bed to short and i work in a shop with free access to a plasma and welder so it shouldnt be to hard of coarse frame sectioning is kinda a pain but its worth the time of tinkering around with

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:55 pm

And another thought could i instead of shortening both sides couldnt i in theory shorten the front side of the bed and remove the fenders after shortening and placing the bed on the frame center the fenders and redrill mounting holes. It would be easier patching a few bolt holes that are showing from the old mounting location than shortening both sides

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:25 am

You would have to move the inside bed fender humps. They stick into the bed a couple inches. Probably easier to chop both ends rather than one end and two sides. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:31 pm

well, if you've done it before and have access to all the equipment, I guess I change my response to: go for it.

I'd still look to see if I could find a short bed box, the frame and related stuff is on thing, cutting up a box is another (at least for me).

having those inner fender bumps and embossed side pattern makes it a little more tricky than a flat side box, like Mike said,

but it's doable for sure,

I've found a few really nice IHC boxes by searching utility trailer or pickup box trailer on craigslist, got em pretty cheap too,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S