L112 fuel tank Float unit

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

L112 fuel tank Float unit

Does anyone have a good source for a replacement fuel tank sending unit? I removed the fuel tank off my 1950 L112
to clean and seal the inside of the tank and to paint the outside. The float is rusted up pretty bad. I am not sure if the sending unit works at this point. It was not connected when I bought the truck. Is there an easy way to verify it is working? Just in case it isn't I am looking for help in finding a replacement since the original is really rusted and may not be working. Thanks Guys.
Attachments
IMG_2196.JPG
Fuel Tank
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: L112 fuel tank Float unit

you can test the sender easily by taking it out of tank, bring it to cab, connect a jumper from sender connection to sender side of fuel gauge on cluster, and a jumper from body of sender to a good ground, then turn on key, lift arm of sender and needle should move if actual gauge is good,

if someone converted your truck to 12v. make sure you are not pushing 12v. thru it, there should be a in line volt drop before the gauges if converted, or your gauges are already fried.

these senders are very hard to find, you can only use stock one with your original gauge, no after market one will work except ford truck from early 40s, so hopefully it still works.

if your sender does move the gauge OK. you can clean it up and buy a new float, you can get em at auto parts store or ebay,

buy it by diameter size, not application, no one will have it for a 1950s IHC, but will have the exact same one in a box for something else, you can get em in brass or gas proof plastic.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks bedrockjon. I'll try the jumper tip and see what happens. I'm being hopeful that it still works.

There's the rub in your reply...a good ground on sender body. What's the chance there was a good ground from sender body back to chassis ground to battery ground on these old rusted trucks. I Plan to run a two wires to sender unit and connect a ground wire from mounting screw back to a common ground on the engine terminal strip.
Try to eliminate ground issues in the future. Thanks again for your help.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Rich, Grounds are Very important to 6volt. If your truck is 6volt, do not forget that positive is ground, check to make sure. Once you have a good ground from battery to starter, they spin real well. If you have a good "ground" to the bare metal frame at all points, all things should work. Just my thoughts.

Return to L, R and S