Oil bath Filter?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Oil bath Filter?

I am in need of a Oil Bath filter for my 53 R-120 with a SD220.
Where do I go to get one of these?

Cheers
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: Oil bath Filter?

Here is one listed on Fleabay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-51-52-53-INT ... 17&vxp=mtr
You can also check for ones similar by imputing this in your search on fleabay: oil bath air cleaner
Someone on the forum might have one.
And I also have one.

lloyd

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Perhaps it was on the old site, but I remember a post where somebody put a lot of work into converting an oil bath filter into a paper filter. It retained the housing and (from the outside) looked like it still kept the oil bath. Now I know the oil bath is a proven winner, but the paper media has improved efficiency.
Anybody have a reference to that thread?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 pm

yes, I'm looking for the oil filter and not the air filter.

When I went to pull the string (wire), it broke. So I'm just looking to replace it. Or if there is a conversion kit for the screw on type?

Cheers!!
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed May 29, 2013 1:50 pm

gravydude wrote:yes, I'm looking for the oil filter and not the air filter.

When I went to pull the string (wire), it broke. So I'm just looking to replace it. Or if there is a conversion kit for the screw on type?

Cheers!!

Ah, now we understand, does your filter canister have a screw on lid on the top? If so, you should be able to get a filter at your local NAPA store. They are a sock type filter. I do not recall the number. This next one is under the Parts listing at the top of the LRS forum
Carquest: Part # 85002
Carquest.com

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

IHkruzer wrote:Perhaps it was on the old site, but I remember a post where somebody put a lot of work into converting an oil bath filter into a paper filter. It retained the housing and (from the outside) looked like it still kept the oil bath. Now I know the oil bath is a proven winner, but the paper media has improved efficiency.
Anybody have a reference to that thread?

actully, the oilbath filter is a lower restriction, and better cleaning then a dry element filter, but a little more hassle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Napa 1002-----Wix 51002
Also there should be a sump below the filter, dump it out & wipe clean while your changing the filter. INFO ONLY

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:actully, the oilbath filter is a lower restriction, and better cleaning then a dry element filter, but a little more hassle.

I know that in some areas, oil bath filters have advantages over paper/media filters and in some cases paper/media filters have advantages over oil bath filters.
Lower restriction? When properly set up, perhaps the oil bath, but that's really close, especially if your media filter is quite large.
Higher hassle? Oh, the oil bath for sure.
If a guy is a purist and wants to keep it all original, of course you want the oil bath.
Better cleaning? That's all depends on if you are talking about the efficiency or the amount of dirt. I agree oil bath filters can hold an extreme amount of dirt.

Here's an oil bath manufacturer that might disagree with you somewhat:
http://www.krone-filter.de/files/pdf/oi ... hummel.pdf
A quote from their web page: The oil bath achieves a maximum separation efficiency of approx. 98.5% and is therefore not as efficient as the filtration performance of a modern dry air cleaner
(> 99.95%).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm

The oil bath doesn't loose flow efficenty like a dry paper does, so over its service life a paper looses flow but increases dirt trapping. As long as the oil level is kept at the required level, the filtering ability remains constant. Paper filter mfg caution against changeing too often as the filter doesn't reach maximum filtering until in service for a while, meaning they pass more dirt until some hrs on them.
I was responcible for a fleet of urban buses, the amount of dirt oil baths would filter out was amaizing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm

the 62 travelall my dad had when i was in high school had an oil bath filter. just need to remember to periodically change the oil in it. we did it when we change the engine oil.
Next

Return to L, R and S