Another question . . ?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:18 pm

Another question . . ?

Back again with questions. To review, I'm putting a 1985 Ford 302/5.0L HO engine in a '54 R-110. I want to use the original IH fuel tank in the stock position. My question is - will the original fuel pickup be large enough (flow enough fuel) to feed a mild, carburated 302/5.0L HO V-8 engine? The pickup tube in the tank appears(?) to be about 3/16" or smaller.

Has anyone put a small block V-8 in an R Series using the stock fuel tank?
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:28 pm

Re: Another question . . ?

I installed aa 6.9 V8 Diesel in my 1953 R120. That engine needed a larger pick-up tube and a return line. The modification was as easy as removing the ZOEM tube and bracket and melting the solder drilled the bracket to accept a 3/8" tube and re-soldered. This Diesel needed a fuel return line. I made a threaded adapter near the fuel sender. The return line must be under the fuel and near the bottom of the tank.
On the off chance you may need or want a replacement tank, a 1990 Chevy Van tank fit between the frame rails on the "R" pickup.
Attachments
FUEL TANK 1.jpg
R120 6.9.jpg
fuel tank 1990 Chevy van.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:36 am

My ‘51 L and your ‘54 R are basically the same, as far as I know, relative to the gas tank. When my truck was rebuilt, I had the original gas tank cleaned and resealed. It is currently supplying gas to my small block Chevy 383 stroker motor with a 750 cfm carb. The engine is 10.0:1 compression ratio and I must use premium gas. I took the tank to the place that cleaned it and delivered it back to the paint and body guy who did all the work on my truck. Unless he did something to enlarge the pick-up that he didn’t tell me about, I’m assuming it is the same as original. The fuel level sending unit was updated to 12 volts, however.

I will say this. The rebuild took place 10 years ago and since then my tank has developed a leak in the top of it. When I fill up, if I put too much in a puddle forms under the truck until the gas leaks below the hole it’s coming out of. I suspect the old tank has been corroded away over the years by rust from the outside and/or corrosive gasoline from the inside because we had to seal up a bunch of pin holes in the top of the tank in the locations where the mounting brackets cross the tank. At this writing I’m considering a replacement tank. I just have been too lazy to act on it, plus the trouble and expense of finding a replacement that will fit. My research of what is commercially available led my to a company called “Tanks”. They offer a couple of sizes that could potentially be used either in the original location or between the rear frame rails. The original tank for a ‘56 Ford F-100 is dimensionally close, but I suspect it is about a 1/2” too big height wise. The location of the filler tube may also be wrong.

If you clean and pressure test your original tank and it checks out to be good, I see no reason you couldn’t use it. The only time that the size of the pick-up tube might be an issue is if you’re doing a lot of wide-open-throttle runs.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:41 am

" . . . removing the ZOEM tube and bracket . . . ." :m03104:

I'm afraid that is a term I am unfamiliar with. Are you referring to the factory fuel outlet and "sipper tube" assembly on the side of the tank??
Bill
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:19 pm

I should have reread before I posted. The "Z" should not be there. OEM refers to original equipment manufacturer.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:03 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I should have reread before I posted. The "Z" should not be there. OEM refers to original equipment manufacturer.

LOL :lol: Don;t you just love computers and "autocorrect" ?
Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can figure out what you did to remove the fitting.

Bill
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:16 pm

The fuel suction line on my 1956 S120 was 1/4" diameter. I had to replace mine because of corrosion, did it by soldering a new piece of tubing.
20200822_212803 1.jpg

20200822_212813 1.jpg

In my opinion a 1/4" line seems small for your application. I would modify the tube bracket and fitting for 3/8" tubing to be safe.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:33 pm

]
bossybinder wrote:The fuel suction line on my 1956 S120 was 1/4" diameter. I had to replace mine because of corrosion, did it by soldering a new piece of tubing.
The attachment 20200822_212803 1.jpg is no longer available

The attachment 20200822_212813 1.jpg is no longer available

In my opinion a 1/4" line seems small for your application. I would modify the tube bracket and fitting for 3/8" tubing to be safe.

My fuel line connections and "sipper tube" assembly is different than yours. It looks like this, is this just soldered in place or is there some mechanical attachment. I have removed the solder from the exterior but it still seems firmly attached. Do I just need "MORE HEAT"? [attachment=0]20231004_113222.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
20231004_113222.jpg
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Return to L, R and S