New Toy door hinge

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 04, 2023 10:17 pm

New Toy door hinge

Discovered the top hinge, passenger side, is rusted thru. It is a pin, not threaded. The book says there's only two type, threaded and pin.
This will be a little labor intensive when I do get around to tackling it.

20230501_170544-resize.jpg
Hinge

20230501_170618-resize.jpg

20230501_170636-resize.jpg
Hinge

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 04, 2023 11:13 pm

Re: New Toy door hinge

Replaced the hinge with one from another truck I have. It worked in my favor, as I wanted hinge mounted mirrors. The hinges I have are all mirror mountable.
20230426_181311 (2).jpg
Hinge with mount

20230426_182617 (2).jpg
Hinge with mirror

I also took the time to replace the driver side hinge with one that has a mount for a mirror.
20230427_173558 (3).jpg
Driver's

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 05, 2023 1:29 pm

Exercise caution if or when you try to pound the hinge pins out. Banging on one end of the pin causes it to expand and get tighter. I found a little heat followed by a spray of MOOVIT penetrating oil increases your chances of getting the pin out.
The threaded pin is threaded on one end, only. This is for a nut that should hold one of the parts of the mirror stem to the hinge.
I found several set of YANKEE mirrors with the IH logo on them. One set is NOS. I found several n eBay. My friend found a like new set under a table in a secondhand store. :t3909:
Attachments
IH YANKEE MIRRORS 1.jpg
IH YANKEE MIRRORS 1.jpg
IH Yankee mirrors
IHC hinge_mirror_bracket_1[1].jpg
hinge_mirror_bracket_3[1].jpg
COMFO CAB HINGES.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 05, 2023 1:50 pm

If you like the OEM mirrors design, try fitting a convex mirror over the flat glass on the right side (passenger) This really stabilizes the image in the mirror.
I took the option of fitting Jeep Wrangler mirrors to my R120 doors. This worked really well and did not look out-of-place.
I made bolt plates for inside the door for the mirror bolts.
the pictured bolt plate is for a Ford application. It is an example ow what can be done.
Attachments
hinge Bolt Plates.jpg
JEEP WRANGLER MIRROR.jpg
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun May 07, 2023 1:12 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Exercise caution if or when you try to pound the hinge pins out. Banging on one end of the pin causes it to expand and get tighter. I found a little heat followed by a spray of MOOVIT penetrating oil increases your chances of getting the pin out.
The threaded pin is threaded on one end, only. This is for a nut that should hold one of the parts of the mirror stem to the hinge.
I found several set of YANKEE mirrors with the IH logo on them. One set is NOS. I found several n eBay. My friend found a like new set under a table in a secondhand store. :t3909:

Nikki, thank you much for the caution in working on the broken pin in the hinge. I was actually thinking about drilling out the two busted ends and then soak the hinge part that has the majority of the broken pin before tackling it.

I have another set of doors, just need to dig them and checkout those hinges. Don't remember if they have mirror brackets on them or not.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun May 07, 2023 1:25 am

nikkinutshop wrote:If you like the OEM mirrors design, try fitting a convex mirror over the flat glass on the right side (passenger) This really stabilizes the image in the mirror.
I took the option of fitting Jeep Wrangler mirrors to my R120 doors. This worked really well and did not look out-of-place.
I made bolt plates for inside the door for the mirror bolts.
the pictured bolt plate is for a Ford application. It is an example ow what can be done.

Nikki, Thank you for the info on the mirrors. It is ironic you mentioned that, as I received two new Jeep mirrors Thursday (from E-bay) and installed them on the mounts I had installed earlier. Just had to open up the hole for the mirror studs and then lock them down. They came with all hardware, of which the brackets I will not use.
20230506_202711.jpg
Jeep mirror

20230506_202821.jpg
Jeep Mirror-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 07, 2023 4:30 pm

Is it possible that you have the hinge installed with the body side on the door? If I remember, the bolt patterns are the same for both sides of the IH hinges.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon May 08, 2023 11:55 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Is it possible that you have the hinge installed with the body side on the door? If I remember, the bolt patterns are the same for both sides of the IH hinges.

Nikki, thank you much. My grandson pulled out the doors I had in the shed and the hinges were attached to the doors. This is a shot of the driver door and hinges.
20230508_112106-2.jpg
Driver door

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 09, 2023 2:30 pm

These are the Wrangler Jeep mirrors I used.
https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-Wrang ... B004GCPQMA

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 09, 2023 4:23 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:These are the Wrangler Jeep mirrors I used.
https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-Wrang ... B004GCPQMA

Thank you sir. I like these mirrors and gives me good thoughts for my other truck, as it has no mirrors at this time. Do you by chance have a closeup picture of the mirror mounted on the door? I enlarged your picture of the truck, but it blurs out trying to see the mounting.
Next

Return to L, R and S