New toy vent window issue

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:16 am

New toy vent window issue

I purchased a NOS driver side vent window and received it in good condition. The numbers matched and they matched up side by side, except in one area.
Vent window box and number.jpg

The new vent window pivot stud has flat sides on the pivot stud and no threads.
vent window studs.jpg

Vent parts catalog.jpg

I don’t know if I’m supposed to try and cut threads or weld on a threaded stud. I can’t use my welder anymore, cause of pacemaker.
My other vent window looks like a stud was brazed on, but don’t know why, rust or what have you.
Weld.jpg

The question is, should I try and get a threaded stud welded on or just return it? Has anyone had this issue on their vent window replacement?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:03 am

Re: New toy vent window issue

There is 2 styles on the shaft for tension on the window. Look at part 25. I might have one. Will look.
The new wing is an excel style and your original is troy style
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 07-23-09 International Harvester MT-97 R-Series Parts Catalog - 16 Cab Cowl and Bodies.pdf.png

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:29 am

troy style
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 07-23-49 International Harvester MT-97 R-Series Parts Catalog - 16 Cab Cowl and Bodies.pdf.png

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:15 pm

kevin wrote:There is 2 styles on the shaft for tension on the window. Look at part 25. I might have one. Will look.
The new wing is an excel style and your original is troy style

Kevin, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I looked at all of the images in my MT-97, but didn't see the Forrest for the trees, just blew over it.
I pray you do have one and we can make a transaction. A question would be, how is it mounted and secured in the door?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:27 am

No go on the part, I think that went with the truck when sold. I did the wing windows in the early 90s. I do recall I think,fig 16-26 I had to use sealer on #6 and maybe a screw to hold the frame, probably #3-4-5 Fig 16-27 You may need #9 washer-10-11-12-13-3-4-5. I don't recall part 10 the rectangle.
Not sure if you have a service manual, here's a link to bodies and cab.
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... 0Cowls.pdf The service manual shows the tension part which I think nylon don't think it was plastic.

Some of the guys have installed the wings in the last 2 or 3 years, maybe they will chime in.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:22 am

kevin wrote:No go on the part, I think that went with the truck when sold. I did the wing windows in the early 90s. I do recall I think,fig 16-26 I had to use sealer on #6 and maybe a screw to hold the frame, probably #3-4-5 Fig 16-27 You may need #9 washer-10-11-12-13-3-4-5. I don't recall part 10 the rectangle.
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... 0Cowls.pdf The service manual shows the tension part which I think nylon don't think it was plastic.

Some of the guys have installed the wings in the last 2 or 3 years, maybe they will chime in.

Kevin, thanks for your reply and input and looking for the missing parts. Yes I do have a Service Manual. I first started looking for the numbers you had referenced in this thread, then realized your numbers actually was for the Parts Catalog.

The window channel #6, (fig. 16-26, page 16-55}, came out of all of my vehicles with no sign of sealer ever being on them, but I can see where it wouldn't be a bad idea. You're correct, it is secured at the bottom with a screw. One of the window channels I removed from this 54, was totally rotted away at the bottom, where it would have secured. Only the screw is left in the mount. I haven't thought of addressing that yet.

In Fig. 16-27 (page 16-58), I have items #3 (window seal, #4 and #5 (Excel). The washer #9 I can make if necessary.

I do not have item #10 on my window frame.

Items #11, #12 and #13 are what I don't have.

Vent window hardware.jpg

If no one has these items, I'm thinking maybe to thread the stud and drill a pin hole, even with the two flat sides. Maybe yet, try and return it and then cleanup the best I can my original vent window and re-install it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:25 pm

jemiller33 wrote:
kevin wrote:No go on the part, I think that went with the truck when sold. I did the wing windows in the early 90s. I do recall I think,fig 16-26 I had to use sealer on #6 and maybe a screw to hold the frame, probably #3-4-5 Fig 16-27 You may need #9 washer-10-11-12-13-3-4-5. I don't recall part 10 the rectangle.

Kevin, thanks for your reply and input and looking for the missing parts. Yes I do have a Service Manual. I first started looking for the numbers you had referenced in this thread, then realized your numbers actually was for the Parts Catalog.

The window channel #6, (fig. 16-26, page 16-55}, came out of all of my vehicles with no sign of sealer ever being on them, but I can see where it wouldn't be a bad idea. You're correct, it is secured at the bottom with a screw. One of the window channels I removed from this 54, was totally rotted away at the bottom, where it would have secured. Only the screw is left in the mount. I haven't thought of addressing that yet.

In Fig. 16-27 (page 16-58), I have items #3 (window seal, #4 and #5 (Excel). The washer #9 I can make if necessary.

I do not have item #10 on my window frame.

Items #11, #12 and #13 are what I don't have.

Vent window hardware.jpg

If no one has these items, I'm thinking maybe to thread the stud and drill a pin hole, even with the two flat sides. Maybe yet, try and return it and then cleanup the best I can my original vent window and re-install it.

An update: the vent window can not be returned and I'm really not feeling cutting threads in it. So I've got a NOS vent window (Excel), just sitting. My original cleaned up way better than I first thought and will be reinstalled. Another purchase I really didn't need to do! Pressing on.

Return to L, R and S