New Toy 54 R100

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:43 am

New Toy 54 R100

I have the threads under my 1955, with brake issues. My new toy is a 1954 R100, running, driving and registered for 5 years as a classic. It has some issues that I'll start addressing as soon as I get back home.
Some work has been done to it by previous owners. Such as, bucket seats was installed, but they shipped the original bench seat with the truck. It appears it has been converted to 12V. I have not fully investigated the hookup. There is a new fuel pump in it, but the seller says it does work, so he installed an electric one and that seems to work well. I'll investigate that as well.

54 IHC-reduced.jpg
Side view

This second picture is of what looks like some kind of resistor block, where the voltage regulator would normally be. Can anyone tell me the correct name of it and maybe where I can get a replacement. Don't know if the picture will so, but it's cracked across the middle. I tried looking up ballast resistor, voltage reducer, ignition resistor block, but no luck with those searches. Hope someone knows and maybe has one or info on getting one.
So now, I no longer have lawn art that I'm working on. Although I will continue working on the 55 as I can.

54 wiring block.jpg
Ceramic block

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 am

Re: New Toy 54 R100

That resistor block, is just that, it was something marketed to provide some voltage drop to things that were 6 volt. you'll be unlikely to find a new one. Most 12 volt "conversions" of old were poorly done.
Today there are solid state voltage converters to do the job of supplying 6volt (7.2 volts) to things that are hard to change to 12 volt. With "wire nuts" on the wiring, it looks like you have a job ahead of you to set it right.
It is rare for a mechanical pump esp a new one not to pump if it is the correct one for the engine. Cam eccentric's can wear, but if that happens the lobes for the valves would also be suspect.
I have written elsewhere about my 6 volt truck starting un aided at 4 deg F, 6 volt isn't the problem, and 12 isn't the solution, but there are situations were you want to run 12 volt items where a 12 volt truck does make sense. I am not against changing, but am against doing it poorly.
I assume the old voltage regulator was removed and a internal regulated alternator was installed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:14 pm

Congrats on the new purchase! I like it.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:57 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:That resistor block, is just that, it was something marketed to provide some voltage drop to things that were 6 volt. you'll be unlikely to find a new one. Most 12 volt "conversions" of old were poorly done.
Today there are solid state voltage converters to do the job of supplying 6volt (7.2 volts) to things that are hard to change to 12 volt. With "wire nuts" on the wiring, it looks like you have a job ahead of you to set it right.
It is rare for a mechanical pump esp a new one not to pump if it is the correct one for the engine. Cam eccentric's can wear, but if that happens the lobes for the valves would also be suspect.
I have written elsewhere about my 6 volt truck starting un aided at 4 deg F, 6 volt isn't the problem, and 12 isn't the solution, but there are situations were you want to run 12 volt items where a 12 volt truck does make sense. I am not against changing, but am against doing it poorly.
I assume the old voltage regulator was removed and a internal regulated alternator was installed.

CB, thanks, I did not do a complete investigation of the truck before I left town. So, I don't know if it's still generator or alternator. When I get back in town next week, I'll be doing a more complete once over. I'm really concerned about the resistor not being available. Plus, I know nothing about the 12v conversion. How to do it, what needs to be changed and or replaced. Even though it's not back up completely, my 55 is still all 6v, with original wiring. I'll reach out once I've looked it over and know what's there.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:01 pm

dean466 wrote:Congrats on the new purchase! I like it.

Dean

Thanks Dean.
My 55 R100 is from Wichita. I was stationed there in 1969. My son is up the road in Sedgewick. I'm planning a trip back there is year some time, before the winter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:15 am

Thanks for sharing about the connection to Wichita. No doubt you were stationed at McConnell Air Force Base. Usually when I'm in Sedgwick, it includes a stop at Cy's Hoof and Horn Supper Club.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:That resistor block, is just that, it was something marketed to provide some voltage drop to things that were 6 volt. you'll be unlikely to find a new one. Most 12 volt "conversions" of old were poorly done.

CB, here is another shot of the resistor. It has two red wires attached and they go directly to the battery.

20230315_161747-resized.jpg
fire wall

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:19 pm

jemiller33 wrote:

CB, here is another shot of the resistor. It has two red wires attached and they go directly to the battery.

20230315_161747-resized.jpg

I'm having problems uploading additional pictures. It keeps requiring me to login after I select the image. It does have a single wire alternator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:26 pm

something like this will replace it, and do a better job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275698893568?h ... R6qKycTdYQ

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:12 am

cornbinder89 wrote:something like this will replace it, and do a better job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275698893568?h ... R6qKycTdYQ

Thank you CB, I ordered it tonight.
Next

Return to L, R and S