New Toy 54 R100

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm

Re: New Toy 54 R100

It's official, registered, insured and road ready.
It didn't take all this time since getting it, to complete the paperwork. I've been out of town, until this pass weekend. The tags were waiting for me when I returned.
I drove it to get some gas. It runs pretty good. Fired right up, after sitting almost a month.
I had forgotten how much real-estate it takes to turn and to stop. Even though it has new brakes (drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware). Also, not to use granny 1st gear unless I'm pulling a stump or something.
The floor shifter and hand brake seem normal, but there's a decal on the dash indicating it's an automatic. Could have been swapped, not sure.
I'll be sending photos as I go thru stuff from time to time. Hopefully my picture uploading issue has resolved.
I'm still having problems uploading images. I got it down to 102K. It still wants me to relog in each time I try to add the file.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:56 pm

Hope this works. At least I didn't have to log back in again.

Historic tag-small.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:39 pm

je,
R-series trucks with automatic transmissions are fairly rare. I imagine someone put a manual in because it was cheaper to find a parts truck and swap than have the automatic rebuilt. Does it still have the shifter on the column?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:56 pm

dean466 wrote:je,
R-series trucks with automatic transmissions are fairly rare. I imagine someone put a manual in because it was cheaper to find a parts truck and swap than have the automatic rebuilt. Does it still have the shifter on the column?

Dean

It is not on the column.

20230321_113849-small.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:58 pm

jemiller33 wrote:
dean466 wrote:je,

Dean

It is not on the column.

20230321_113849-small.jpg

My 55 is still three on the tree.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:55 am

I've been trying to upload a picture to show the cone shape item, with pin that needs to be removed in order the remove the vent window.

One of the minor things I'm doing is replace vent window rubber seals and a passenger side door glass. I of the vent windows I have (3 sets), all of the rubber seals are in bad shape. Some harder than others and brittle.

It appears to me that the cone shape pivot has to be removed and the pin driven out. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know of a good method to remove these items? I've soaked it a little in WD-40 and nothing has budged. What is your best recommendation for rusted parts to be freed, such as this? I know I'll have more stuff to free up later. One being the driver door top hinge to install a hinge mirror.

I see the verbiage got through, but no images. Frustrating!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:24 pm

jemiller33 wrote:I've been trying to upload a picture to show the cone shape item, with pin that needs to be removed in order the remove the vent window.

One of the minor things I'm doing is replace vent window rubber seals and a passenger side door glass. I of the vent windows I have (3 sets), all of the rubber seals are in bad shape. Some harder than others and brittle.

It appears to me that the cone shape pivot has to be removed and the pin driven out. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know of a good method to remove these items? I've soaked it a little in WD-40 and nothing has budged. What is your best recommendation for rusted parts to be freed, such as this? I know I'll have more stuff to free up later. One being the driver door top hinge to install a hinge mirror.

20230321_184636.jpg
Vent window pivot

I came back later to try and upload.

I actually got this apart after I got out of the hospital and replaced the passenger vent window rubber seal and replaced a broken glass in the same door.
Last edited by jemiller33 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:28 pm

jemiller33 wrote:
jemiller33 wrote:I've been trying to upload a picture to show the cone shape item, with pin that needs to be removed in order the remove the vent window.

20230321_184636.jpg

I came back later to try and upload.

It worked today!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:53 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:something like this will replace it, and do a better job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275698893568?h ... R6qKycTdYQ

CB89, I'm in receipt of the item that you mentioned. However, I'm not an electrician, and was looking for instructions. Is there a thread here on installing it or a link to go to for that information? Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:36 pm

Looking at the label, 12 volt + goes to the red wire, black is neg. The yellow is 6 pos and again black is neg. Hook the red to switched positive and hook your 6 volt loads to the yellow, both blacks go to ground.
Gauges, and heater? are likely to be 6 volt. IIRC that year uses vacuum wipers, so nothing needed for them.
So to replace the resistor, one of the wires will be 12+ and one of the wires will be the 6 volt loads.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S