'54 IHC R-110 differential

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:23 am

Re: '54 IHC R-110 differential

Just trying to give some real world feedback. I choose the size tires based on the original tires on the truck being 6.50x16 or around 29.5” dia. I didn’t want to alter the proportions of the tire/wheel combo esthetics in the fender openings. I may have had silly reasons, and we all sometimes get hung up on a reason that only we can make logical sense of.
Something else that I’ve noticed that I didn’t know before rebuilding this truck is that the engine bay could use some additional provisions for air passage. The original inline 6 was what the bay was designed for and putting a modern V-8 in changes the air flow dynamics. Had I known, I’d of had some louvers put in the inner fender panels for more options for air to flow out. I had to make cut outs in the panels to accommodate the M-II front suspension, so adding louvers would only have required me finding someone with a louver press. As it stands now, I feel that the heat maker under the hood produces more than the bay was designed for. The radiator is sufficient to cool it, but the residual air under the hood needs improved exit capabilities. Now the truck is all assembled and painted and it would be a real hassle to put them in.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:27 pm

Two simple things a person can do to lower the operating temperature are:
1) installed some sort of air-dam under the truck approximately just under the radiator. You will not need anything to big. The creates a lower pressure behind the air-dam and helps to move air out of the engine compartment.
2) Make sure the engine is getting cooler air from outside the engine compartment for the intake. I am not going to Goggle for information, but I have seen and read something on hot air for the intake raising engine temperature while reducing power.
As you may know, I installed a rather bulky 6.9 V8 Diesel in my R120. This engine was so large I had to modify the truck to accept the additional bulk. I never had an overheating problem. There was a short time when there was nearly an over-heat situation. I cured that by moving the AC condenser to a location, under the box. I installed the transmission cooling system under the bed of the R120. The cooling fan was triggered by a Kaiser thermal sensor.
A small V8 does little to decrease the space needed for air to escape the engine compartment.
A heavy-duty radiator with 4 rows of fins can pose an air movement restriction. This is where a fan may be required.
I should mention that I had a custom radiator built for m R120.
Attachments
oil cooler.jpg
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg
Air dam
R120 6.9.jpg
6.9 worn out and in an R120.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 10, 2023 4:56 pm

You have a few projects threads to check out. I am very happy with the SBC 350, 700R4, Ford 9" (from quick performance) with 3.70 gears.

Keep in mind too, that the fatman kit will lower the piss out of the front end. You're going to want to lower the rear end down too a level you are comfortable with and that might be a challenge with stock springs and axles

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 10, 2023 9:14 pm

The OEM 220sd installation included splash pans that surrounded the engine near the oil pan. It is unlikely you will be using the splash guards again, so cooling will not be a situation.
The picture shows the front section of the three piece splash pan system.
While this might have been an idea it turned out to be a dirt trap in real life rural operation. The Ford 9 inch can be expensive. The Ford 8.8 if very strong and lighter. The 8.8 will have a parking brake. The Ford 9 inch may not have a parking brake.
Attachments
OEM shield clears the 4bta crank pulley.jpg
OEM splash guard

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:59 pm

Well, I took you guys advice and acquired a 2000 Explorer 8.8 differential with 3.73 gears.
Now? Does anyone want a complete IH corporate 1/2 ton differential with 4.10 gears?

Bill Moore
Noblesville, IN
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:18 pm

ihnutz wrote:Well, I took you guys advice and acquired a 2000 Explorer 8.8 differential with 3.73 gears.
Now? Does anyone want a complete IH corporate 1/2 ton differential with 4.10 gears?

Bill Moore
Noblesville, IN

I was able to easily get rid of my rear diff setup on Facebook marketplace

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:45 pm

bsievers1616 wrote:
ihnutz wrote:Well, I took you guys advice and acquired a 2000 Explorer 8.8 differential with 3.73 gears.

Bill Moore
Noblesville, IN

I was able to easily get rid of my rear diff setup on Facebook marketplace

I don't have Facebook but I think that "Management" (aka wife) does so I'll see if she will post it on Marketplace. Thanks :D
Bill
Noblesville, IN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:01 pm

While I really appreciate the SBC, I do not want to use one in my project(s). I became a Cummins fan before I retired. The company I was a mechanic for had 50% Cummins Power in 1500 vehicles. 20 years later, they have 100% Cummins in 2000 vehicles.
I bought a Cummins 4bta for an unreasonable price and freshened it up. It is destined for service in an L110 Shorty.
Attachments
FRESH AIR INTAKE.jpg
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
4bta

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:21 pm

gots_a_sol wrote:I think you'll save a lot of headache just upgrading to a newer axle.

95+ Ford Explorer has an 8.8" rear end with factory disks and is the same lug pattern. About the same width also. Can be found a few different ratios and limited slip also.

Doesn't the 8.8 have an offset center?
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:14 pm

wndsofchng06 wrote:
gots_a_sol wrote:I think you'll save a lot of headache just upgrading to a newer axle.

95+ Ford Explorer has an 8.8" rear end with factory disks and is the same lug pattern. About the same width also. Can be found a few different ratios and limited slip also.

Doesn't the 8.8 have an offset center?

It is offset about 2" to the passenger side.
-Joe
'54 R112
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S