Engine Oil

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:42 am

Engine Oil

My SD220 is freshly rebuilt but it is lightly leaking out of the rear main rope seal. I was thinking of going 20w50 to slow the leak which isn't a lot to begin with but figured that's too heavy. Would you agree? Do you think I should go with 10w40 as the middle ground to not be too heavy but still help slow the leak?

I'm not pulling the engine to fix the leak. I learned years ago when buying old tractors a little leak won't hurt anything as long as you keep an eye on it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Re: Engine Oil

Have to say I've not seen viscosity have much of an effect either way on a rear main leak. Fresh overhaul I'd be running 10W-30 or 10W-40 depending on outside temp. Flow is more important than anything.
either live with it or fix it right.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:01 pm

I’ll go with 10w30 then

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:30 pm

I think Old IHC had some HD DNA. The two models liked to mark their spots like a dog. I had 15/40 on hand, so that is what the Old SD220 got.
There was a time when I had wired an adult diaper to the bottom/back of the engine. I would change the diaper once a week. The deceased neighbor's wife gave me the diaper supply. I needed the diaper so I could drive the SD220 into Vancouver and not get a ticket for the leak. :t1812:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:11 pm

nrowles wrote:My SD220 is freshly rebuilt but it is lightly leaking out of the rear main rope seal. I was thinking of going 20w50 to slow the leak which isn't a lot to begin with but figured that's too heavy. Would you agree? Do you think I should go with 10w40 as the middle ground to not be too heavy but still help slow the leak?

I'm not pulling the engine to fix the leak. I learned years ago when buying old tractors a little leak won't hurt anything as long as you keep an eye on it.

I have the exact same issue on a rebuild of SD240. I am not pulling the engine either. I don't think oil weight will help the situation. I think my problem is the sealing around the rear main bearing cap rather than the rope itself which could possibly be dealt with without pulling the engine. Not sure it is worth the effort. Just changed from 10-30 to 15-40 but not for leak reason but because that is what I use in other toys.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:06 pm

I like the diaper idea , a red rag looks cleaner..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:37 am

I used start up oil from Joe Gibbs I think , and now use racing oil for the zinc in it , sounds like you need to tighten up the rope

Return to L, R and S