Engine Sleeves BG241

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 pm

Engine Sleeves BG241

I assume the sleeve for a bg241 would be the same as a bd240. Are they still available? Thinking about going through the engine next year if I can't find a 264/265 before then. Figure parts may take a while, but haven't seen much on the sleeves. I believe these are sleeved engines, correct?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:29 am

Re: Engine Sleeves BG241

BD's and BG's weren't sleeved engines from the factory. Whether sleeves are available I don't know.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 am

Paul's right, no sleeves in the SD/BD/BG engine series. However, the agriculture version of this engine series used in Farmall tractors is dry-sleeved.
s-l1600 (5).jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131551362936?e ... ondition=4

I've never messed with enough of the ag engines to know what will and won't interchange. Hoping to have the opportunity to find out since ag parts are much easier to source these days.

-Jake

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:38 am

Most of the ag engines based off the small 6, have a taller deck height, so most parts will not interchange between them and the automotive versions.
The truck small 6 never was lined, the medium was lined until the early 50's and large was lined except for the 501 until it was discontinued in the late 60's-early 70's.
Be very careful when interchanging parts between AG/industrial and automotive.
I will add that sleeves are made by dimension for "salvage sleeving blocks" that weren't sleaved originally. It can be a way restore a worn block to service. These need to be pressed in at a machine shop and trimmed to correct length and in some cases finished honed to size. They are not "field replaceable."

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:57 am

Oh, good to know!

For some reason I thought they were sleeved. I'm still hoping to find a BD264/BG265 but failing that I will probably just go through the 241.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:35 pm

The ag engines move the main saddles further down in the block, this allows for more "swing room" and the strokes tend to be longer and the bore smaller. It also means that bellhousings for the truck will bolt on an ag block, but will not be inline with the crankshaft (as it has been moved further from the block deck), which is why I say be very careful when trying to interchange parts between ag and automotive, they may look like they fit, may even bolt on, but will not work.
IHC did install the AG 301 diesel in a few pickups, however.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 pm

On the far-off chance that anyone is into lots of fitting an engine that does not belong, I have a caution. I put an IHC/Ford 6.9 V8 Diesel into a 1953 R120. This conversion ran really well for 225,000 miles and 20 years.
Would I do this again? Absolutely, YES! But I would not use the IHC 6.9. Two better swap engines are the Cummins "B" series 4bta 3.9 liter and the 6bta 5.9 liter. Both of these Cummins engines fit without any modification to the sheet metal of the truck. The 6bta will be heavy enough to require additional front suspension. I used air springs.

https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
Attachments
ENGINE FIT UPPER LEFT VIEW.jpg
R120 IHC Cummins.jpg
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
R120 6.9.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:33 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:The ag engines move the main saddles further down in the block, this allows for more "swing room" and the strokes tend to be longer and the bore smaller. It also means that bellhousings for the truck will bolt on an ag block, but will not be inline with the crankshaft (as it has been moved further from the block deck), which is why I say be very careful when trying to interchange parts between ag and automotive, they may look like they fit, may even bolt on, but will not work.
IHC did install the AG 301 diesel in a few pickups, however.

CB,
Do you know if main bearings or rod bearings will interchange?

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:02 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:On the far-off chance that anyone is into lots of fitting an engine that does not belong, I have a caution. I put an IHC/Ford 6.9 V8 Diesel into a 1953 R120. This conversion ran really well for 225,000 miles and 20 years.
Would I do this again? Absolutely, YES! But I would not use the IHC 6.9. Two better swap engines are the Cummins "B" series 4bta 3.9 liter and the 6bta 5.9 liter. Both of these Cummins engines fit without any modification to the sheet metal of the truck. The 6bta will be heavy enough to require additional front suspension. I used air springs.

https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk

Very cool! I had a 4bta I was going to drop in, but had to sell it when times were tough a few years ago. Now I've been running the bg241 for a few years and haven't had any complaints, other than it's slow. :D But good to know on the 6bta as well. I had actually looked at a dt360, but haven't done any more than look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:42 pm

bossybinder wrote:CB,
Do you know if main bearings or rod bearings will interchange?

I really know little about the small sixes, most of my experience is with the medium six and I did own one large six (406) for a time.
Someone on here posted a spread-sheet of the automotive and AG versions of the small 6. I don't want to name the wrong person and not give credit where it is do, but may be a search of the site will turn it up.
It is very possible the mains and/or rods would interchange, but as the crank stroke is different, they could be different also.
To make matters more muddy, IHC call both the small and medium six "Black Diamonds" at one point in the 50's although they share NOTHING in common. to make it worse, the medium six was made in the same displacement as the ag version of the small six (282) and to muddy the waters even more, the small six 282 WAS used in trucks in Australia (but not in North America) A truck 282 in North America will always be a medium six unless it is a transplant.
Lots of room to make mistakes when looking through catalogs and trying to find what might work!
The small six topped out at 301 CID in both gas and diesel versions, the medium six topped out at 308 CID and was only made in gas and LP versions. Close enough in CID to lead someone to think (incorrectly) that they may be related.
Ag engines tended to have smaller bores and longer stroke to make more useable torque in those applications, and in most all ag/industrial applications were governed and had a lower redline than the automotive version of the same block type.
While one would expect that crank bearing would be the same for both the ag/industrial and automotive versions, one would also expect that the bearing mfg would know this and offer them for sale and put them in automotive catalogs as well as ag/industrial engine catalogs and show for sale for both applications.
So all I can say it cross match at your own peril.
Next

Return to L, R and S