1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:39 am

Re: Back again. 51 L120

That truck looks like it's in great shape and a good place to start, nice to see you're back .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:08 pm

I will be watching you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Thanks manicmechanic. Nikki, I need to be held accountable. I always regret selling them. I must finish and keep this one. I've never had one without budd rims so this lug pattern is new to me.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 pm

subscribed!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:04 pm

I am the picture of seller's remorse.
I have daily regret for giving my 1953 R120 to someone who said they were going to fix it up and drive it. Now it sits in an open field, neglected.
I admit that the "R" does not look like much on the trailer that hauled it away, but the person had the stuff to fix it.
If there is a next time, I can send the truck to recycling on my own.
Attachments
R120 IHC DAD'S '53.jpg
R120 with 6.9 Diesel 1.jpg
R120 GOING TO MIKES.jpg
6.9 worn out and in an R120.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:58 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I am the picture of seller's remorse.
I have daily regret for giving my 1953 R120 to someone who said they were going to fix it up and drive it. Now it sits in an open field, neglected.
I admit that the "R" does not look like much on the trailer that hauled it away, but the person had the stuff to fix it.
If there is a next time, I can send the truck to recycling on my own.

Is that a dakota frame?
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:18 pm

The frame is the original R120 frame. This frame was in good condition when I got the truck back in the 1980s. It had developed a few minor, but, repairable cracks at the front. This is typical for these frames. I built a strengthening plate/brace to hold the Saginaw Power steering box. Because of the weight of the 6.9 V8 Diesel I added air springs to the suspension, both front and back. I put the front air springs directly under the engine mounts. This was for direct weight transfer to the front axle. When the engine mounts are not directly over the axle, the frame is forced into extreme flexing, from the "Z" angles, causing the frame to crack and break. This was typical of these old IH trucks.
I got 225,000 miles and 20 years on this frame and there was no cracking.
These Old IHC frames are easy to work with. I would never consider using a Non IH frame, unless I were building a new frame. these frame are a simple ladder design and easy to make.
I installed a 1990 Chevy/GM Van fuel tank in the frame rails, at the rear of this "R". A good trailer hitch is mandatory for added frame strengthening. Without this hitch or something else to add frame strength, the frame will twist and ultimately break along its length.
Another situation you might have is the deuteriation of the spring perches. I chuck the perches in my Southbend 16" lathe and drill out the perch pins. New pins are easy to make. I have two styles of pins. One is external thread, like the originals and the other style if internal threads for a bolt.
The better choice for an engine for these trucks is the Cummins "B" series. The 6bta, like a Dodge truck will fit without any surgery. I have a perfect Cummins 4bta for this L110. The Cummins 4bt looks lost in the engine cavity.
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
Attachments
ENGINE FIT UP FRPONT VIEW.jpg
4bta in an L110
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
Cummins 4bta with TH475 and NVG 241C transfercase
FUEL TANK AND REESE HITCH.jpg
Fuel tank and Reese Hitch
shackle 2.jpg
all new shackles and perches with new pins
PERCH DRILLED OUT ON LATHE.jpg
Perch pin drilled out on lather
perch pin drilling.jpg
pin being drilled
perch pin rusted and bent 2.jpg
perch pin in common worn condition
fuel tank 1990 Chevy van.jpg
1990 Chevy Van tank
Saginaw power steering adapter to an L110 frame AND NEW SPRING MOUNT.jpg
Saginaw power steering adapter and frame brace.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:00 pm

If you find loose rivets in the frame connections, you have, two choices. I have often removed the loose rivets. After reaming the holes to a precise 7/16" i installed grade 8 bolts and made sure the threads were not inside the connections. Another option is to heat the rivets to a bright red hot, with an oxygen and acetylene torch and reset the rivets. You will need a good ball-peen hammer and a backing dolly. The rivets get really tight as they cool.
Boxing these frames a a terrible idea.; This not to say boxing cannot be done, it is a job that should only be done by a person with experience, the right tools and skill.
The front center of the frame, under the radiator, where two pieces of frame come together in a "V" is a popular place for IH frame failure. The tabs often crack. This is one place that welding is a good idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:41 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:If you find loose rivets in the frame connections, you have, two choices. I have often removed the loose rivets. After reaming the holes to a precise 7/16" i installed grade 8 bolts and made sure the threads were not inside the connections. Another option is to heat the rivets to a bright red hot, with an oxygen and acetylene torch and reset the rivets. You will need a good ball-peen hammer and a backing dolly. The rivets get really tight as they cool.
Boxing these frames a a terrible idea.; This not to say boxing cannot be done, it is a job that should only be done by a person with experience, the right tools and skill.
The front center of the frame, under the radiator, where two pieces of frame come together in a "V" is a popular place for IH frame failure. The tabs often crack. This is one place that welding is a good idea.

Nice tips.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
Next

Return to L, R and S