1955 R100 Rear Cab Mounting info

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:10 am

1955 R100 Rear Cab Mounting info

Can someone help me with the correct location thru the frame rail, and placement order for the rear cab mounting hardware? I took this mounting hardware off, ten years ago with great intentions, money, age and health had other ideas.
I’m now somewhat able to do a little work, with the assistance of my grandson and great-grandson.

What I need at this time is information on the hole location of the bolt, spring, insulators and nut, and the order they go in. From the picture it looks like it is inserted from the bottom thru the frame rail into the bottom of the cab.
The picture does not tell me, what portion goes thru the frame, what portion between the frame rail and bottom of the cab. It does appear the smaller insulator goes on top with the nut and cotter pin.

Is there anything that shows me the exact hole for the bolt, spring and insulators? Or can someone tell me which hole they go in.
Also, what is the diameter of the large insulators? It looks like a hockey puck can be made to work. But I don't see enough room around the frame rail for a 3" hockey puck, even if it's cut down a little.

Cab Mount.jpg
Cab mount hardware

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:27 pm

Re: 1955 R100 Rear Cab Mounting info

Maybe these will help some anyway. Didn't get a clear picture of the inside of the frame rail to show the spring and bolt. And hopefully the holes in the frame and mounting holes for the running board bracket will give you a reference for which holes the cab mounts go to. These are passenger side frame rail.
P1070766.JPG

P1070767.JPG

P1070768.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:38 pm

If I remember correctly, the frame flange fits between 8 and 10. I think the bolt goes up from inside the frame then into the body. I do not suppose it will make much difference is the spring in installed in the bolt pocket inside the cab. Do not forget the cotter-pin to secure the nut. If you forget, the nut is a common size.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:16 am

nikkinutshop wrote:If I remember correctly, the frame flange fits between 8 and 10. I think the bolt goes up from inside the frame then into the body. I do not suppose it will make much difference is the spring in installed in the bolt pocket inside the cab. Do not forget the cotter-pin to secure the nut. If you forget, the nut is a common size.

Nikki,
Thank you much for your input.
I am not sure of your first sentence with "the frame flange fits between 8 and 10". I do understand and remember that the bolt goes up from the bottom. I just don't remember what hole it goes in on the frame rail and the size of the larger rubber insulators between the frame rail and cab.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:37 am

PaulH wrote:Maybe these will help some anyway. Didn't get a clear picture of the inside of the frame rail to show the spring and bolt. And hopefully the holes in the frame and mounting holes for the running board bracket will give you a reference for which holes the cab mounts go to. These are passenger side frame rail.
P1070766.JPG

P1070767.JPG

P1070768.JPG

Paul, thanks for the pics. They should help me get started. I have not been able to get back to the truck, but these will help me to try and locate the hole. I have the long running boards, so to orientate the right one and hopefully it'll fit right in.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 pm

The hole you appear to be looking for should be an easy find. There are two top flange holes in the frame. The forward one is for the cab bolt and the one next toward the rear is for the front box bolt. It would be very difficult to bolt the cab in the incorrect place, because the front cab mounts will not match their mounting holes. If you mount the cab into the wrong holes the fenders will not fit properly. You need an inch between the firewall and the back of the engine.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:The hole you appear to be looking for should be an easy find. There are two top flange holes in the frame. The forward one is for the cab bolt and the one next toward the rear is for the front box bolt. It would be very difficult to bolt the cab in the incorrect place, because the front cab mounts will not match their mounting holes. If you mount the cab into the wrong holes the fenders will not fit properly. You need an inch between the firewall and the back of the engine.

Thank you much kind sir. I'll locate those holes as soon as I can get back out to the truck. Thanks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:30 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:The hole you appear to be looking for should be an easy find. There are two top flange holes in the frame. The forward one is for the cab bolt and the one next toward the rear is for the front box bolt. It would be very difficult to bolt the cab in the incorrect place, because the front cab mounts will not match their mounting holes. If you mount the cab into the wrong holes the fenders will not fit properly. You need an inch between the firewall and the back of the engine.

Thanks Nikki,
My grandson came over today and we took a look at the frame. I think I might be in the right location, even though it appears my frame might be a little different, as it has more holes in it than I expected. Bout what size is the rubber that goes under the frame rail? It appears the rubber and washers between the frame rail and cab is about 3 inches or less, is that about right?

Cab and  bed holes.jpg
Frame rail holes

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:54 pm

If its the "hockey puck" looking chunks of rubber you're talking about, mine measure 2.75" across by about 5/8" thick.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:39 pm

diltonw wrote:If its the "hockey puck" looking chunks of rubber you're talking about, mine measure 2.75" across by about 5/8" thick.

Yes, that's the one. I even have some hockey pucks, but they're too big. Thanks for your input.

Return to L, R and S