1953 R112 onto Modern Chassis

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:21 am

Re: 1953 R112 onto Modern Chassis

ok so I was able to stumble onto another youtube video of mine. This is a few weeks ago. Open headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEZynzH9Rg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 am

nice! i really want my next project to be a late 60's mustang. I dont know why, i just like them. I just havent come across one that is worth building in a price range i can afford. I also have a space issue, and i am not really looking to sell my IH

I always have my eye out though.

Your motor sounds nice and healthy!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:25 pm

I'm a little late to this party because I've had COVID, my mom passed, I got a divorce, and I moved to Mom's farm, which my sister and I bought from family members. Oh, and I retired from the US Census Bureau on October 30, 2021...and I seem to have LESS time since retirement than before, believe it or not!

On the chassis swap: The '67-'72 Chevy GMC long bed pickups have the same 127" wheelbase as the L/R/S series trucks with the 8-foot bed. And the length and front/rear split on the rear leaf springs on these Chevy trucks is identical to the L/R/S. But while the IH springs are 1.75" wide, the GM springs are 2-1/2" wide. [I never got the chance to try to fit a set of the Chevy springs, shackles, and hangers to the IH frame, because I sold my trucks to pay for my divorce.] :t10512:

Width-wise, many have used the '96-2001 Explorer rear end with the stock IH frame, gaining rear disc brakes in the process. If you're lucky, you might even gain a limited-slip unit [not available from IH], and a more highway-friendly rear gear ratio. But you need to change the Explorer rear from spring-OVER-axle to spring-UNDER-axle, like the IH...but that also requires C-notching the rear frame, because the axle tubes on the Explorer rear are 3-1/4" diameter.

Good luck with your project!
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:29 pm

The Ford Explorer and the IHC pickups have leaf springs over the axle. I would strongly advise against "C" notching the IHC frame. These frames are very flexible. The frame will be compromised and likely fail if modified. Boxing is not a good idea.
The Ford 8.8, Explorer spring pads need to be moved to match the OEM IHC springs. The 8.8 is an easy fix.
Depending on the year of the 8.8, It can be had with drum brakes, if that is your preference.
I bought a matched set of DANA 44 axles from a 1997 Ram 1500. This set is going into a 1952 L110. The track width is a little wider than the OEM Binder, but, the look is better. We are using RAM 20 inch wheels with a positive offset.

edit for spelling
Attachments
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS.jpg
1997 RAM 1500 AZLES.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S