SD/BD Crankshaft Bearings

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:30 pm

SD/BD Crankshaft Bearings

Has anyone tried using the tractor bearings in a truck engine? What are the differences? It looks like crankshaft rod/main pin diameters are identical between my BD240 and say a C221 that you might find in a Farmall 460. Prices are much better than what you might find on Ebay for an NORS set.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a set to compare and see. Has anyone done this already?

https://www.agkits.com/International-C1 ... ehG_v7MKUk

https://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed-Power/844/935M/10002/-1

**Interestingly, the Jegs listing for the main bearings appears to cover truck engines already**

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:21 am

Re: SD/BD Crankshaft Bearings

So far as I know the cranks are the same. I don’t see why not. I think the journal sizes are called out in the manuals. Of course some measuring tools would tell for sure
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:26 am

I've attached a snippet of the CTS11 Service Manual showing crankshaft specifications. The SD crankshaft diameters are highlighted, matching the specified sizes in the links above.

Of course there are more considerations, for instance bearing O.D., thrust face width, bearing shell widths, bearing notch locations, etc. If it's only a small difference or a minor modification, this could open up some possibilities for folks trying to source bearings.

CTS11 Service Manual - Engine Crankshaft Specifications.jpg

IH SD240 crankshaft photo from Ebay.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 am

If they are the same specs they should work. It does look like you are comparing Main Bearing prices to Cam bearing prices though based on the links but I did not poke around.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:01 pm

hattrick4467 wrote:If they are the same specs they should work. It does look like you are comparing Main Bearing prices to Cam bearing prices though based on the links but I did not poke around.

The first link in the top post should direct to an agricultural engine parts supplier showing connecting rod bearings. If you poke around there you'll also find they supply main bearings, cam bearings and any other part needed for the ag engine rebuilds.

The second link should direct to a listing on the Jegs website showing a set of main bearings that listed for truck engines. This is notable because some engine rebuild suppliers are saying they are not available.

I'm hoping to find someone that has already tried these products. My BD240 has low oil pressure and could probably use a set... one day in the future.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 pm

You do see sets come up on ebay but I do not know how the prices compare. Do you know if they are undersized or stock?

Return to L, R and S