distributer question

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Re: distributer question

unclejtl wrote:thanks. that sure like like it. but I'm missing parts 4 and 5 from fig 8-11. in figure 8-10 the part #1 that the distributer goes thru dosen't hold it tight and it wobbles a bit. i would think any bump would move the timing off. and a merry christmas to you!

Just to let you know Fig 8-11 is for a 282 - 308 CI. Paul has the pages rite. If your vacuum advance is bad, ebay has them.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm

thanks guys. well it looks like I have what is suppose to be in there by the pages Paul sent, but with mine, with the distributer in the engine and bolted tight I can still grab it and wiggle it a bit. it seems like the hole in part #1 in the first picture is larger than the shaft part of the body. maybe its just suppose to be like that? is this the area that you used the copper pipe for paul?

Advance.JPG

IMG_4577b.jpg
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:19 pm

I think it's supposed to be like that. As long as the clamp holds the distributor, it should be okay.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 pm

ok, thanks Paul. I'll give it a try when my parts show up.
1936 C1 Project

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:35 pm

ok, so I finally got time to work on the truck. after moving to Washington my wife has a honey do list seven feet tall... so I checked point gap, static timed to the rivet on the flywheel, set the valves to .029 cold (just for a starting point) didn't have to adjust them much so they might have been ok, rebuilt the carb, made new plug wires, rebuilt the fuel pump with a kit from "then and now" (it wasn't pumping so I put the electric 5psi back on for now till I can remove and find the problem, just want to hear it run) tried to start and nothing.

I hooked up a spark tester and I'm only getting spark on number 1??? I took the cap off and I see brass shavings in the distributer from the cap. there are some grooves in some of the contacts in the cap. turning the engine over and spinning the distributer around without the cap, it's not wobbling.

I'm using a remote starter button on the starter to turn the engine over.

I can't figure out how to add a movie to this post to show how the distributer moves when I grab it. it seems ok when I just rotate the engine.

thoughts?

IMG_4713b.jpg

IMG_4715 (1)b.jpg
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:35 pm

unclejtl wrote:o
I hooked up a spark tester and I'm only getting spark on number 1??? I took the cap off and I see brass shavings in the distributer from the cap. there are some grooves in some of the contacts in the cap. turning the engine over and spinning the distributer around without the cap, it's not wobbling.

thoughts?

IMG_4715 (1)b.jpg

Thoughts are the cap and rotor are a mis-match. Shouldn't get brass shavings or grooves worn in the cap terminals. As to only getting spark at #1 my guess is the tang or the rotor has sheared and the rotor is no longer turning with the shaft once it hits a terminal tower.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Also some dist had a bakelite cover/spacer between the dist cap and dist. It covered the points and the rotor went on after the cover and before the dist cap.
If you spring clips to hold the cap on are loose, then you are likely supposed to have the spacer between the cap and the dist.
I'll have to look and see if I can find the spare I have and take a picture.
Edit: not shown on the breakdown on previous page, so I don't think this is the problem.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:50 pm

I believe I know what you are talking about, I had that cover on an old vw I had. spring clips are tight. I will look at it again when i get home. thanks
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10869

I think Bryon used Distributor Rotor RR161 AC Delco

Distributor Cap DR-428 Standard Motor Products

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:21 pm

thanks Kevin,

I believe my cap and rotor are meant to be used together because I can see right in the middle of the cap contact is where the rotor is hitting.
I think I will get a new cap and rotor. my rotor fits kinda loose. I can wiggle it a little when it's installed. probably my problem. I think I need a sleeve between my distributer and the part #1 in the diagram like Paul mentioned before, I just don't like the fact that I can grab the cap and wiggle the distributer.

I don't know how this ran like it is according to the previous owner.

Advance.JPG
1936 C1 Project
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S