Transmission Input Shaft

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 pm

Transmission Input Shaft

I'm working on an R112 with an SD220 and an HBS 3 speed transmission. I resumed this project from many years ago. I had changed the oil in the transmission and after a few days noticed a slow leak from the front. I pulled the transmission and I'm pretty sure the oil was leaking either past the seal or past the bolts (pretty sure it was the lower 2 bolts. But a few things I noticed were that the pilot bearing was pretty well gone and both the release bearing and input shaft had a little play in them. The pilot bearing and release bearing seem pretty straightforward. But since I don't have much experience with transmissions I'm not sure if what I'm seeing says I need a rebuild. I'm seeing about a 1/8 inch of movement in the input shaft at the pilot end. For the more experienced mechanics here, is that going to be a problem using as is?

Also, that front seal is super thin. Does anyone know where I can get one or should I just use gasket sealant in it's place? I'm afraid if I make my own out of gasket material it will be too thick and will prevent locking the front bearing in tight enough.

Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:28 am

Re: Transmission Input Shaft

Play at the pilot bearing end with the trans out is normal. The shaft when installed is supported at both ends so the "play" goes away.
If you are talking about a shaft seal pressed into the front bearing retainer, than no, you can't make one from gasket goo.
Some trans and I do not know from memory, use a reverse thread type "seal" on the shaft and no contact seal at all. The rotation of the shaft and the thread cut into direct the oil back into the bearing retainer (bolt on cover) others use a conventional seal in the retainer to seal the shaft. Often there is a passage for the oil to return to the trans sump on the case and a passage cast into the retainer that must line up when you bolt the retainer on. the gasket will have an "extra" hole so the gasket must be put on so the hole lines up with the drain. If you use gasket goo make sure it doesn't plug the drain.
Working on transmissions can be like assembling a puzzle that only goes together one way, and you have to know of figure out what that way is. Some you can remove the input shaft and bearing without disturbing anything else, others the input shaft and bearing have to be installed before then main shaft, and can not be removed until the main shaft and gears are out of the case. Still others have "tricks" that if you know can allow for a shaft replacement without removing the main shaft, even though it is installed 1st on a rebuild (Roadranger truck transmissions)
If the oil level at rest is higher than the bolts on the cover(s) then use some sealer on the bolts (permitex type non hanrdening)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:34 am

Thanks for the response Cornbinder. I remeasured the play in the input shaft and it's really only 1/16" not 1/8" as stated. But glad to hear that its probably not a big deal.

I still have the original seal from the bearing retainer, although it's in 3 pieces, so I think I'll use it with a very sparing amount of gasket sealer. I had already planned on using sealer on the bolts, so between the 2 that will hopefully plug the leak. But I did notice that the drain was partially blocked, so will make sure it's thoroughly cleaned once I pull it back apart to remove the gasket I made.

On to the clutch work!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:56 am

I'd swing by a place like Bearing headquarters or Motion industries to see if they can't get you a new seal.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Hadn't thought of that. We have one on the other side of town.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to L, R and S