Drive into the city

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:29 pm

Drive into the city

Last week, I decided (on impulse) to drive my truck to work (I work as a butcher in San Francisco). I didn't even remove the 3 bales of hay I happened to have in in the bed. It's interesting how demanding driving a vintage vehicle can be, in the context of modern traffic.My trucks' original motor has been replaced with a V8; but, still- I became even more aware of how fast the flow of traffic is in relation to posted speed limits. In a modern car the performance thresholds allow me the luxury of not thinking about any of this. I've been commuting to this job for nearly 30 years; and, this is the first time I took the truck. Although I really enjoyed the trip, the drive was more demanding than usual.
Attachments
IMG_20210614_194959~2.jpg
IMG_20190812_104740743~3.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 am

Re: Drive into the city

I like driving my truck, too. Because I drove it to work in its original condition for a few years, I have much appreciation for what you experienced. So, when I was able to finally do a rebuild, I wanted modern suspension and safety devices that weren’t original to the truck. It now has all those things and I feel much better about driving in today’s traffic. Up grades include: air conditioning, 3-point seat belts, independent front suspension, 4-wheel disc brakes, improved horsepower, electric wipers, LED lighting, third brake light and my rear view mirrors have LEDs that flash along with the turn signals. It’s still an old truck because it’s original design was meant for slower highway speeds, but now at least it’s outfitted with what it needs to perform in today’s traffic. However, now I’m retired and driving to work in it is not an option. So I’ll just enjoy driving it.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 pm

I have touched on this subject a few times. Driving an old original truck in heavy traffic can be very stressful. My old truck in traffic experience got so much better when I updated the drivetrain.
The traffic, here, on The Lower Mainland, is relentless in 2021 and a slow acting older vehicle would be a hazard. Some of the through roads have minimum speed limits and I know my R120 in OEM trim would not survive without some negative police attention.
While more power was a good idea, I made a mistake when I installed a 6.9 Diesel, V8. This engine was too big and heavy. Extensive cab surgery and frame upgrades was necessary. If something like this happens again, Cummins Power will be the choice.
Attachments
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg
At 200,000 miles
R120 IHC Cummins.jpg
Cummins 5.9 24 valve
R120 6.9.jpg
Don't drop a socket
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:37 am

I enjoy cruising up and down the highways/tollways, probably at speeds too fast.......but in the back of my mind i am thinking that i am dead meat if i ever got in a wreck. The upgrades i have done almost make you forget about the fact that you are driving a 60+ year old truck. Thinking about all the steel that my head would be hitting, where as in a new car you have the padding and airbags everywhere.

But, i'll just keep that in the back of my mind and drive on! The good news is, EVERYONE notices you and knows where you are on the road :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:09 pm

I drove a stone stock KB-1 daily for 25 years,

I drove a stone stock L-112 panel daily for 12 years,

I am happy driving my L-110 on 89 Suburban now,

I'm a lot older and traffic is a lot heavier

but nothing beats driving an original truck on back roads.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:34 pm

45 MPH with the windows down, the windshield cranked out and a small country road! But I live where there are a lot of small country roads!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm

bedrockjon wrote:I drove a stone stock KB-1 daily for 25 years,

I drove a stone stock L-112 panel daily for 12 years,

I am happy driving my L-110 on 89 Suburban now,

I'm a lot older and traffic is a lot heavier

but nothing beats driving an original truck on back roads.

I take this to mean you have an L110 body on an '89 Suburban chassis? Do you have pics? I don't remember seeing it.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to L, R and S