R152 charging system

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:34 pm

R152 charging system

Can using a battery maintainer damage the voltage regulator?
Reason for asking is the system was working as it should until the maintainer was used. Removed maintainer and now no charge unless field is grounded. This is 6V pos ground, good battery (nearly new), new wiring and new $100 regulator. I had hooked up the maintainer because the truck was not going anywhere for a while.
Any thoughts? This truck is a recent refurb.
thanks
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Re: R152 charging system

Is it possible that the battery maintainer has raised the battery to full charge? Is it possible this situation does not allow the regulator to activate?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 pm

Start the truck, bring the idle up above 1400 then let idle. take a volt meter and read the system voltage, turn on the headlights and heater and read the voltage again. Report back.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Thank you guys for the replies. I have had the truck for two or three drives since this started with no change.
Nikki, I had the same thoughts as you in the beginning but by now I would think it should be charging. I do know with lights on it shows a discharge on the ammeter.
CB, I will get some readings tomorrow.
Thanks again
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Dennis swWA wrote:. I do know with lights on it shows a discharge on the ammeter.
Thanks again
Dennis

Is that with the engine running at speed or shut off?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:29 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:
Dennis swWA wrote:. I do know with lights on it shows a discharge on the ammeter.
Thanks again
Dennis

Is that with the engine running at speed or shut off?

With engine running above an idle. I'll get some numbers tomorrow. Everything was normal before using the maintainer which is a 2 amp then goes to float. Maybe a coincidence. Good VR is as much as a new battery. go figure. I can afford a new VR by what the root cause of failure is the question.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Mechanical regulators are fairly robust. They should completely separate the generator from the rest of the wiring if working correctly and the generator isn't turning. For this reason I don't see the "maintainer" damaging the generator or regulator.
If the reverse current relay ( sometimes called the cut out relay) stuck closed, then it could damage the generator as it would have current flowing thru it all the time.
Poor or broken grounds are often the cause for the charging system not functioning. Make sure the bonding straps between the engine and cab are in good shape. Some of the regulators were mounted in rubber with either a grounding wire or a strap to one of the regulator mounting screw to bond it to cab sheet metal, a bad connection between reg and cab will prevent it from operating.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:47 pm

CB, here are some numbers for the test you asked for. Thanks for working with me on this.
Standby, no load, engine off ----- 6.32
After rev up and at idle
No load -- 6.18
Low beam on -- 5.83
Low beam + heater -- 5.69
Hi beam + heater -- 5.65
Looks like we are not charging as expected. I'll be talking with supplier with same question. Regulator is about 1yr and truck sits in the shop most of the time. Completed the restor last spring, less than 400mi drive time since. I just don't want to be causing the failure and not knowing why or how.
Thanks for your time. Here's a pic
Dennis
0425201123b_HDR (Medium).jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Make sure the regulator and the engine are bonded (grounded together). You already know it is is not charging. Also make sure the batt wire from the regulator to the ammeter is making a good connection.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 am

That sure is a nice truck Dennis. Congrats, I hope you get the charging system sorted.

I had trouble with a 6V positive ground system where the regulator contacts would stick leaving me with circumstances similar to yours. Turns out I had a regulator for a 6V negative ground system causing the issues. Replaced the regulator and worked great again.
Next

Return to L, R and S